Melissa
my little girl is 18 months and has had a cough for the past 3 months(daily basis cough). I have taken her to the doctors back to back only to recieve the same response, its just a cough itll go away. now im 3 months down the road after visits to the er to get her checked for anything severe cause they have more than the pediatrics can offer and of course NOTHING! I dont smoke around her. I notice at night when i lay her in her crib its alot worse! So about 2 weeks ago i took her to the doctor to rule out asthma. So right now we are starting with allergies. he gave me some otc allergy med for her to take b4 bedtime everynight. i give it to her at 730 and it is not working. her cough yet remains the same. Can anyone give me any advise as to experiencing the same thing??? im stressin myself crazy over what could be wrong. Although i forgot to mention that there is mold under our sink counter that i clean once a week because the landlord seems to never get to it!! could that have anyting to do with her cough you think? the kitchens down stairs and her room is upstairs.
Answer
Ok, start finding a way to document the landlord's incompetence, you may need a lawsuit. Not all mold is toxic, so it needs to be tested by a reputable outfit if you want to go this route, forget the do-it-yourself mold test kits. You need to have the leak fixed, in the meantime, get some damp check or damp rid ( my second choice)
Take your Daughter to a mold-specialist. Alternative Medicine, like any other profession it has it's good ones and it's bad ones, so go in with both eyes open, check credientials and so forth.
What are you using to kill the mold with ? Toxic chemical bleach ? Before I read to the part of mold, this would have been my first guess, chemicals! Switch your laundry detergent and her soap ( that you can use as shampoo as well) to a free and clear version, not just any free and clear, make sure it's made with natural ingredients, not synthetics, or it's still nasty chemicals, just not as nasty. Vitacost and Iherb ( both dot coms) are good places to start online, but some target stores and walmarts carry Ecos free and clear laundry soap, and you want Dr.Bronner's baby mild fragrance free soap ( test it twice on her arm first, there's a very small chance of a hemp allergy in anyone). The chemicals that are used day in and out, are terribly toxic, people assume they must be safe or they wouldn't be sold, and nothing could be further from the truth! They only test 3% of chemicals that come out each year for anything at all, let alone human safety, and even when there ia a dozen huge red flags ( like fabric softner - considered a possible cause of sudden infant death syndrome), It is considered within reasonable risks ( which tranlated means they make so much money off it who cares!) I would do a through cleaning of her room, with her out and a fan venting out a window with the door closed, Mix Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide, at 25% each and 50% water. You must use this mixture once it's mixed, it can create an acid if left sitting mixed after some time. Wipe down everything you can, the hydrogen peroxide added, makes for the ultimate germ killer ( and mold killer). More effective than anything. Let the room air out 24 hours if possible, cleaning will put spores in the air, you want them to settle so there aren't as many in the air. Any air purifiers need to be the real deal, under 500 bucks it won't do anything to help. Again I'd consider moving, after documenting everything needed for trial ( you might not feel like doing this now, but you don't want to regret it, if time goes by and you didn't gather have any evidence and this does, God-Forbid turn into a long-term health issue for her).
I would use vinegar to kill the mold, you still have to remove the dead mold though, or it's fragments can cause problems, It's not something that should be taken lightly, you may be at risk of developing health issues as well. You should wear a mask approved for mold removal and rubber gloves. Use borax mixed in water to scrub it off, and leave behind fresh residue ( not from the rag used to clean it) mold won't grow where the surface has borax on it. I'd consider moving. Who knows what the rest of the Bldg's maintanence is, might be nightmare.
Lawsuits aren't always easy, but this may have caused long-term damage, so it's something to consider. But I would also being considering moving asap, where you see mold is just a small part of the problem, it releases spores into the air. Every breath we take has some mold in it, again it's not all toxic, and our body can handle small amounts if it were, but yours isn't a small amount.
Mold remediation is much more complicated than you might ever imagine, what I suggest with cleaning is a temporary help, not a fix. Do not steam clean the carpets, that will only make matters worse. Do not use bleach. Do consider taking only posessions that can be throughly cleaned and are absolutely needed, if you move, otherwise you risk carrying the mold with you. Use a cup of borax in your laundry. Let your laundry soak for a couple hours, but forget it.
Ok, start finding a way to document the landlord's incompetence, you may need a lawsuit. Not all mold is toxic, so it needs to be tested by a reputable outfit if you want to go this route, forget the do-it-yourself mold test kits. You need to have the leak fixed, in the meantime, get some damp check or damp rid ( my second choice)
Take your Daughter to a mold-specialist. Alternative Medicine, like any other profession it has it's good ones and it's bad ones, so go in with both eyes open, check credientials and so forth.
What are you using to kill the mold with ? Toxic chemical bleach ? Before I read to the part of mold, this would have been my first guess, chemicals! Switch your laundry detergent and her soap ( that you can use as shampoo as well) to a free and clear version, not just any free and clear, make sure it's made with natural ingredients, not synthetics, or it's still nasty chemicals, just not as nasty. Vitacost and Iherb ( both dot coms) are good places to start online, but some target stores and walmarts carry Ecos free and clear laundry soap, and you want Dr.Bronner's baby mild fragrance free soap ( test it twice on her arm first, there's a very small chance of a hemp allergy in anyone). The chemicals that are used day in and out, are terribly toxic, people assume they must be safe or they wouldn't be sold, and nothing could be further from the truth! They only test 3% of chemicals that come out each year for anything at all, let alone human safety, and even when there ia a dozen huge red flags ( like fabric softner - considered a possible cause of sudden infant death syndrome), It is considered within reasonable risks ( which tranlated means they make so much money off it who cares!) I would do a through cleaning of her room, with her out and a fan venting out a window with the door closed, Mix Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide, at 25% each and 50% water. You must use this mixture once it's mixed, it can create an acid if left sitting mixed after some time. Wipe down everything you can, the hydrogen peroxide added, makes for the ultimate germ killer ( and mold killer). More effective than anything. Let the room air out 24 hours if possible, cleaning will put spores in the air, you want them to settle so there aren't as many in the air. Any air purifiers need to be the real deal, under 500 bucks it won't do anything to help. Again I'd consider moving, after documenting everything needed for trial ( you might not feel like doing this now, but you don't want to regret it, if time goes by and you didn't gather have any evidence and this does, God-Forbid turn into a long-term health issue for her).
I would use vinegar to kill the mold, you still have to remove the dead mold though, or it's fragments can cause problems, It's not something that should be taken lightly, you may be at risk of developing health issues as well. You should wear a mask approved for mold removal and rubber gloves. Use borax mixed in water to scrub it off, and leave behind fresh residue ( not from the rag used to clean it) mold won't grow where the surface has borax on it. I'd consider moving. Who knows what the rest of the Bldg's maintanence is, might be nightmare.
Lawsuits aren't always easy, but this may have caused long-term damage, so it's something to consider. But I would also being considering moving asap, where you see mold is just a small part of the problem, it releases spores into the air. Every breath we take has some mold in it, again it's not all toxic, and our body can handle small amounts if it were, but yours isn't a small amount.
Mold remediation is much more complicated than you might ever imagine, what I suggest with cleaning is a temporary help, not a fix. Do not steam clean the carpets, that will only make matters worse. Do not use bleach. Do consider taking only posessions that can be throughly cleaned and are absolutely needed, if you move, otherwise you risk carrying the mold with you. Use a cup of borax in your laundry. Let your laundry soak for a couple hours, but forget it.
Can somebody give me some places to get a Herb kit from?
ms.jazzi
I need it ASAP and not over the price on 25.I tried target,walmart,walgreens,micheals,and busy bee.
I meant of 25.00
Answer
I am not sure if I can tell you where to get ujyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (Sorry, that was my cat helping me type) what I assume you mean, an HERB-growing kit, but can tell you from exprerience that even $25.00 is probably, (sorry,) a waste of money because the ones you see sold or advertised in this price range usually fail to thrive - the seeds may not germinate, you need good potting soil, not the little globs of stuff they sell to people with a netting around "plugs" of soil that go into the pots, because these dry out terribly and even if you are very lucky and they don't dry out by themselves, they interfere with any baby root system a germinated seed might try to establish. You also need warmth for seeds of any kind to germinate - from the bottom of whatever you try to grow them in, plus something to cover the planted herbs with to keep the moisture in,like plastic wrap or even a piece of glass but not let them get too "waterelogged," because they can rot. Almost ALL herb plants grow well in sandy, friable soil, don't need alot of fertilizer, need moisture in the air where they are located,(which you can accomplish by "spraying" plants with a clean plastic spray bottle with, preferably, distilled, water in it , sometimes several times a day.- not the soil, the leaves of the herbs themselves.) Then comes the problem of the correct type and amount of light they will need - preferably near a good west or east facing window, or full-sprectrum plant lights, which can be found at reasonable prices.
Okay, I appologize, but have I discouraged you enough? I sincerely wish someone had told me all this before I, myself, and many well-meaning friends bought me the so-called "easy herb garden in days" kits which littered not only my windowsills, tabletops,and closets, pantries, and eventually my trash and recycle bin, and left me disappointed, frustrated, sad, and evertyhing else you could think of.
If I may offer one piece of posistive advice, go to a good greenhouse - not just garden center, but honest-to-god-greenhouse. You can find them in the yellow pages, on the web, or ask gardeners you may know, and put yourself in their hands. Tell them what you are looking for, what you were hoping to be able to purchase and for how much. One or two healthy,established herb plants that they can suggest and, perhaps, guarantee is a much better investment, and can be done in your price range Try herbs everyone who cooks with them know and love, like Italian Flat leaf parsley, Basil, Thyme, etc. They can advise you. Rosemary is delicious to cook with , in many things, and can only be propigated by "cuttings" of a mature plant, so you can't trust anybody trying to sell you seeds. If this is for herb teas, different herbs will be needed like mint, chamomile, and I'm getting tired, so I can't thinke of the other ones. I apologize for being so long-winded here, but I've been down this road so many times since I don't have a real, outside garden any more that I hate anybody else to waste money and their loving care in this way. It's embarassing for you if this is for a gift, and awfully disappointing if it's for yourself.
Good luck, hon, and I hope I was more helpful than hurtful. Good quality always comes through, and Ill bet if you feel like trying what I suggested, you, or someone you give this kind of gift to will have it for years with proper care, can give cuttings, and divisions of large, healthy herb plants away, and if they discover they really enjoy them, add to the collection over time grom a reputable greenhouse.
Good gacious, I think I need sone herb tea to get my strength back, and help me to get some needed sleep!
I am not sure if I can tell you where to get ujyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (Sorry, that was my cat helping me type) what I assume you mean, an HERB-growing kit, but can tell you from exprerience that even $25.00 is probably, (sorry,) a waste of money because the ones you see sold or advertised in this price range usually fail to thrive - the seeds may not germinate, you need good potting soil, not the little globs of stuff they sell to people with a netting around "plugs" of soil that go into the pots, because these dry out terribly and even if you are very lucky and they don't dry out by themselves, they interfere with any baby root system a germinated seed might try to establish. You also need warmth for seeds of any kind to germinate - from the bottom of whatever you try to grow them in, plus something to cover the planted herbs with to keep the moisture in,like plastic wrap or even a piece of glass but not let them get too "waterelogged," because they can rot. Almost ALL herb plants grow well in sandy, friable soil, don't need alot of fertilizer, need moisture in the air where they are located,(which you can accomplish by "spraying" plants with a clean plastic spray bottle with, preferably, distilled, water in it , sometimes several times a day.- not the soil, the leaves of the herbs themselves.) Then comes the problem of the correct type and amount of light they will need - preferably near a good west or east facing window, or full-sprectrum plant lights, which can be found at reasonable prices.
Okay, I appologize, but have I discouraged you enough? I sincerely wish someone had told me all this before I, myself, and many well-meaning friends bought me the so-called "easy herb garden in days" kits which littered not only my windowsills, tabletops,and closets, pantries, and eventually my trash and recycle bin, and left me disappointed, frustrated, sad, and evertyhing else you could think of.
If I may offer one piece of posistive advice, go to a good greenhouse - not just garden center, but honest-to-god-greenhouse. You can find them in the yellow pages, on the web, or ask gardeners you may know, and put yourself in their hands. Tell them what you are looking for, what you were hoping to be able to purchase and for how much. One or two healthy,established herb plants that they can suggest and, perhaps, guarantee is a much better investment, and can be done in your price range Try herbs everyone who cooks with them know and love, like Italian Flat leaf parsley, Basil, Thyme, etc. They can advise you. Rosemary is delicious to cook with , in many things, and can only be propigated by "cuttings" of a mature plant, so you can't trust anybody trying to sell you seeds. If this is for herb teas, different herbs will be needed like mint, chamomile, and I'm getting tired, so I can't thinke of the other ones. I apologize for being so long-winded here, but I've been down this road so many times since I don't have a real, outside garden any more that I hate anybody else to waste money and their loving care in this way. It's embarassing for you if this is for a gift, and awfully disappointing if it's for yourself.
Good luck, hon, and I hope I was more helpful than hurtful. Good quality always comes through, and Ill bet if you feel like trying what I suggested, you, or someone you give this kind of gift to will have it for years with proper care, can give cuttings, and divisions of large, healthy herb plants away, and if they discover they really enjoy them, add to the collection over time grom a reputable greenhouse.
Good gacious, I think I need sone herb tea to get my strength back, and help me to get some needed sleep!
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar