Breast Pumping Schedule?




*Laceys Mo


My sweet baby girl is 14 weeks old & I have been back at work for 3 weeks now. I currently pump 3-4 times a day while im at work from 8-5. But only average pumping 11-13ounces. She eats 5 1/2 per feeding which averages about 3 bottles while im away. Im taking Fenugreek seed to help me produce more milk as I of course don't pump nearly what she can eat off of me when she eats. And I have the medela pump. I also pump after she eats when I get home but I barely have enough milk for each day. (i like to have at least a days worth if not more stored up in freezer) When she was first born I had so much milk and I pumped to store but now that stash is gone. I didn't pump as much as I should have so lesson learned for next baby. So my question is:
What can I do to help me produce more?
What kinda of pumping schedule should I do?
Any advice to help guide me will be great.. I really want to strictly breastfeed for at least 6 months but of course I will supplement if I HAVE to.



Answer
You certainly seem to be trying hard & that's a great start. Eating right helps. Taking fenugreek, eating oatmeal, drinking a lot of water. You could use google to find foods believed to increase milk supply. You should pumping at least as often as your baby feeds, whether that's every 2 hours or whatever her schedule may be. You're also doing right by pumping right after she nurses. It will take a little while for your supply to catch up but your body will soon recognize the need to produce more milk. Good luck & good job on trying so hard to give your baby the best nutrition.

I have a one week old daughter and been trying to breast feed but seems like I'm not producing enough milk...?




xoxo


what is a normal amount of milk supply when pumping?? can you fill up a bottle at this time? I can barely fill 1/4 of a oz... is there any hope? I feel like a failure.


Answer
Breast feeding is supply & demand & at one week I would expect her to be feeding hourly (10-15 mins) to 2hrly. Her stomache is quite small (think a thimble or two for volume) and breast milk s SOOO very quickly digested. Also & probably most importantly youre at this stage most likely stillproducing mostly colostum, it will be a good 2 weeks from birth before your milk is fully in & atleast 4 weeks from birth until your supply regulates.

BEST & easiest way to breast feed is from the breast, baby takes what she wants & any suckling will stimulate you to make omre milk even if shes emptied you both sides & still nurses it will build you up. Its not LIKELY she will empty both breasts btw because even when you cant pump a drop that little girl will be able to draw deepsr than any pump to get what she needs. Again if you try to breast feed to a clock youre setting yourself up for failure you MUST feed on demand day & night to sucessfully BF long term. Her feed patterns will change from day to day more so in periods of growth but by about 3mths old she'll have thrown at you just about everything she can, your hormones will be more balanced & you;ll wonder why it wasnt this easy all along!

If you have to feed expressed breastmilk you should also ask your pediatrician for an expected 24 hour total intake of breastmilk if your baby is only getting expressed breastmilk and not taking milk directly from the breast at all. Follow your baby's cues to determine the timing and amount of each feeding. A rough guide is by a week or so after the birth, newborn babies born at term will generally drink about 150mls per kilogram of body weight, per 24 hours. Therefore, if your baby is about 4 kilograms in weight (or about 4,000 grams) they will drink about:
150mls (5oz) x 4kg (8.8lb)= 600mls (20oz) (in a 24 hour period) divide volume this by the number of feeds he has. Or take her weight in pounds and multiply it by two and a half to three times. Then, divide this number by the total number of feedings per day to arrive at the approximate feeding amount, in ounces, for each feeding.

Pump and accumilate within 24hrs by all means but it expires based on the 1st expressing.

Fresh breast milk will stay good:
* At room temperature for up to 8 -12hrs
* In the fridge for up to 5 days (some books say 8-11 days.)
* In the freezer, at the back, for 2-3 months
* In a deep freeze 4-6 months
*thawed in fridge for upto 24 hours, 1 hour at room temp

Remember to count 6-8 wet/soiled nappies in 24hrs to know shes hydrated

Dont feel like a failure, youre not. Breast feeding IS hard work & theres sooo much misinformation & figures quoted refering to formula feedings which are poles appart from expressed BM feeding. Keep asking q's & contact a breastfeeding support group.

Youre doing Great Ma keep it up :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar