Breastfeeding with inverted nipples?

manual breast pump for inverted nipples
 on this is a good one hand pump i have used the medela pump in the past ...
manual breast pump for inverted nipples image



Jessie C


I am a first time mother-to-be and have a few concerns about breastfeeding and/or pumping since i have inverted nipples. My close friend has them and she wasn't able to have her daughters latch to feed. I was hoping there would be some of you ladies who have the same issue and were able to find ways to alleviate the problem. I'm wanting to have as much preparation before the baby arrives. Thanks!


Answer
You can use a pump for a minute before nursing to draw out the nipple to make it easier to the baby to latch on. You can even use one of those manual inexpensive ones. It can really help a lot. You might still have some latching problems, and will want to work on it to get the most effective feed, but this is one way to help out without necesarily needing a nipple sheild. If you can afford it, I also highly recommend buying one of the really nice motorized double pumps. If you are unable to get a latch, at least you can pump, and your baby will get breast milk. Remember that often, even if your baby can't latch at 1 or 2 weeks, by a month or 6 weeks, they are able to do it much more efficiently. So if you keep up your milk supply by pumping and trying to latch, you may be able to make it work after a few weeks. Be patient with yourself, and if you have to, know that giving a bottle to your baby is ok

would and electric pump work best for me..?




linda c


i just had a baby 3 weeks ago..!! but my nipples are flat so its harder to breastfeed and my baby gets fustrated.. !! i bought a manual pump but im not producing enough milk would and electric pump work better if so which one..??


Answer
Ditto, jcarter. I use the Medela Pump in Style and am able to pump a good volume of milk/pump session. In the morning ~8-9 oz and during the day 3.5 to 5.5 oz/session. The pump is also good at drawing out the nipples. Mine were not completely inverted or flat but were not the most BF friendly. As to the Medela only pumping from the areola, I don't know what that means, my breasts are pretty empty after pumping so it does a great job at extracting the milk. I have been using it for eight months and have never had issue with the motor. My lactation consultant recommended that I buy Medela, though it's a little pricier, since cheaper models tend to burn out pretty quickly. If by chance money is an issue, speak to La Leche League representative and they may be able to tell you how you can get assistance in buying one. I had a job acquaintance who was given a Medela pump since she could not afford one.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar