Breast pumps in Melbourne, Australia? Help please.?




dancesport


I have an Avent hand pump but want to hire an electric pump possibly for a few months. Is there anywhere you can hire both the motor and the plastic kit or do you always have to purchase the kit? Or have you bought an electric pump yourself? Would you recommend it, and how much did it cost you?
I'm having issues feeding my 9 month old daughter due to her teeth but do not want to wean for months yet. This is my last baby and I don't want to have to go out and pay a fortune. I'm trying to find the best option for me to express and bottle feed for at least 3 months.



Answer
Since you have at least three months left to feed, I definitely recommend purchasing your own electric pump. We highly recommend the Madella brand of electric pump. You should look into purchasing a used pump (previously owned). It will be less expensive. My wife wanted a second pump for work and she found one in excellent condition on a used item sale site called craigslist. Maybe there is a similar service in Australia. eBay is another source for used pumps. Ask a friend that you know has a pump and may no longer be using it if she would be willing to sell the pump at a much reduced price. Also check with your insurance plan, they may cover the hire/rental fee.

Breast Pump Question?




animal_mot


http://www.target.com/Avent-Isis-Breast-Pump-Bottles/dp/B000HUENLK/sr=1-2/qid=1212800796/ref=sr_1_2/601-4096666-0984116?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Aavent%20isis&page=1

I'm planning to breast feed my baby, but would like to have a pump also so my husband can feed sometimes too, etc. The link shows the one I like.
1. Should I get some other bottles besides the 2 it comes with?
2. Do I need milk storage bags?
3. And how long does it take to fill a bottle with a manual pump?
4. Will my arm get tired pumping, or is it like a cyphon and once it gets going it'll just come out on its own?
5. Why do most registries I see say I should register for 'breast shields'? What are those?
6. Would I need a bottle warmer, or how else could I get frozen breast milk to room temp in the middle of the night?
Thanks for your answers. I'm clueless!



Answer
ok a lot of this depends on how often you want to pump and such but I'll do my best!!!

1. Should I get some other bottles besides the 2 it comes with?
Depends. I find that 4 is a good number for myself. I pump twice a day, usually. I rinse the equipment with hot water directly after use and when I need them ready for use again I throw them in a boiling pot of hot water. you can also buy medela steam sterilizing bags for the microwave if you rather do it that way. I like boiling water :) ...so you may want more bottles. I also usually store my collection from the 1st pump in the fridge then after the second pump I get that cold then mix the two together.... by the time the second pumping is cold it is almost time to pump again, another reason I find I usually use 4 bottles before sterilising.

2. Do I need milk storage bags?
Most likely YES. I use the lansinoh bags and love them. ALso if you are going to use the playtex nursers drop in system you can use the lansinoh bags directly in these bottles instead of drop ins. you dont lose a drop of milk that way (other than transferring from the original bottle) also look into the playtex one step kit where you can pump directly into the bag..... but if you want to store several bottles at a time you would need several kits(for the rings and tops) I have one of these kits but only do this the day before or day of if I know I am going somewhere and fix a bottle to be refridgerated and used not frozen and stored.

3. And how long does it take to fill a bottle with a manual pump?
for me, if I am lucky I get 4 oz in one pump((IF I pump WHILE feeding my baby, pump BOTH breasts -one while baby is on other side then when she is done switch - AND use breast massage and compression. this is with a medela pump in style electric pump. ---- with a manual I am lucky to get 3 oz (sorry missed the manual part) - thats using a medela harmony manual. so for a 4 oz bottle, 1-2 pumpings. a 8 oz bottle 2 -3 pumpings. I usually end up pumping for about 20-30 minutes, or 10-20 minutes AFTER my baby is done drinking(in addition to the entire time she is on the breast)

4. Will my arm get tired pumping, or is it like a cyphon and once it gets going it'll just come out on its own?
with a manual yes your hand will get tired after a while, but actually I have found that if you keep the handle sueezed down when the milk is flowing it keeps coming out so I have started to increase the stroke length so that helps - hope that makes sense. I'm not sure if thats how I am ""supposed"" to pump or not but I do what seems to work for me. If I see milk all is good LOL.

5. Why do most registries I see say I should register for 'breast shields'? What are those?
Breast shields are the part that actually go on your breast, those attach to another part which attaches to both the tubing, and the bottle itself. also this other part(not the shields) has valves and membranes, which you may want a few extra of as well. I work with 4 breast shields, 4 of everything but I have extra valves and membranes not in use. also one extra set of tubing.

6. Would I need a bottle warmer, or how else could I get frozen breast milk to room temp in the middle of the night?
NO you sure dont! run the bottle or bags under hot or warm running water. I take frozen milk in the lansinoh bags and drop it directly into a pot of hot water and it is nice and warm in about 2 or 3 minutes!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar