agl
what kind do u use and do u like it? is it portable? do u store milk in the bottles in the Freezer and just heat the the bottles?
i have no idea what to do? lol
Answer
I use the Medela Swing. It's a single electric, so it's not as good as the double electric models, but I only work one day a week so it has been working out so far. However, now that my 6 mo. son is guzzling about 24-28 ounces just while I'm at work, I have to pump at work AND every evening for 3-4 days just to keep up with his consumption. If I ever pick up more days at work, I'm going to wish I had a double-electric model.
My lactation consultants in town recommend Medela or Ameda brand breastpumps. The Lansinoh pump is made by Ameda and is also good. The other pumps don't have good suction (it can be too high and uncomfortable), and often will not yield as much milk. When I asked about another brand's double-electric pump, my LC said that the Medela Harmony (manual pump) would be better.
Hospital-grade rental pumps are better than the double-electric models you can purchase. Those are better than single-electric, which are better than manual. It all depends how much you want to avoid formula. If you work at all and are committed to providing only breast milk, then you probably want to splurge on a double-electric.
Breast milk lasts 7 days in the fridge, 3 months in the freezer and 6 months in a deep-freezer. It's good for about an hour at room temp, or 24 hours in a cooler with three ice packs.
Thaw it in the fridge overnight, or in a bowl of warm water. Don't use the stove (it can get too hot), and never microwave breast milk - it will break down all the proteins and prebiotics and become less nutritive than formula. And once it is thawed, it is only good for 24 hours and can't be frozen again.
I find that 5 of the 5-oz Medela storage bottles work for collecting what I pump at work http://www.medela.com/ISBD/breastfeeding/products/bottles.php and I use the 2-oz storage tubes in the freezer http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2815289 But there are disposable storage bags available that hold more than 2-oz, if you prefer. I happen to like the reusable kind, and the 2-oz size gives me more control over how much I thaw (2, 4, 6 or 8 oz as needed).
I tend to leave a bottle's worth of milk in the fridge, without freezing, so that the first bottle of the day (whether by the sitter or my husband) can be given quickly without having to be thawed first. And now that my son is eating cereals - which I mix with breastmilk - I keep extra fresh milk in the fridge for that, too.
I use the Medela Swing. It's a single electric, so it's not as good as the double electric models, but I only work one day a week so it has been working out so far. However, now that my 6 mo. son is guzzling about 24-28 ounces just while I'm at work, I have to pump at work AND every evening for 3-4 days just to keep up with his consumption. If I ever pick up more days at work, I'm going to wish I had a double-electric model.
My lactation consultants in town recommend Medela or Ameda brand breastpumps. The Lansinoh pump is made by Ameda and is also good. The other pumps don't have good suction (it can be too high and uncomfortable), and often will not yield as much milk. When I asked about another brand's double-electric pump, my LC said that the Medela Harmony (manual pump) would be better.
Hospital-grade rental pumps are better than the double-electric models you can purchase. Those are better than single-electric, which are better than manual. It all depends how much you want to avoid formula. If you work at all and are committed to providing only breast milk, then you probably want to splurge on a double-electric.
Breast milk lasts 7 days in the fridge, 3 months in the freezer and 6 months in a deep-freezer. It's good for about an hour at room temp, or 24 hours in a cooler with three ice packs.
Thaw it in the fridge overnight, or in a bowl of warm water. Don't use the stove (it can get too hot), and never microwave breast milk - it will break down all the proteins and prebiotics and become less nutritive than formula. And once it is thawed, it is only good for 24 hours and can't be frozen again.
I find that 5 of the 5-oz Medela storage bottles work for collecting what I pump at work http://www.medela.com/ISBD/breastfeeding/products/bottles.php and I use the 2-oz storage tubes in the freezer http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2815289 But there are disposable storage bags available that hold more than 2-oz, if you prefer. I happen to like the reusable kind, and the 2-oz size gives me more control over how much I thaw (2, 4, 6 or 8 oz as needed).
I tend to leave a bottle's worth of milk in the fridge, without freezing, so that the first bottle of the day (whether by the sitter or my husband) can be given quickly without having to be thawed first. And now that my son is eating cereals - which I mix with breastmilk - I keep extra fresh milk in the fridge for that, too.
Medela swing breast pump?
Teri
I am 36 weeks pregnant with my first child, and no'one in my family has ever breastfed before so I really have no'one to turn to on this topic. I plan on being a stay at home mother and will only be using a breast pump occasionally in case we ever need a sitter, for outings (the idea of breastfeeding in public scares me a little!), long road trips, travel (my family lives 3000 miles away), and so my husband can also aid in the feeding of our daughter as well. I have been reading reviews religiously and I'm still undecided on which pump would be best for me. I would like an electric pump, preferably a single so I can pump while feeding my daughter. I have heard that medela is a wonderful brand from multiple friends who have breastfeed in the past and was wondering if anyone has tried the medela swing? It has terrific reviews and that is currently the direction I'm leaning towards. I don't want to spend over $175 for something I will be using so rarely. So If you have used this pump, or there is another you swear by please share your opinions with me. Thank you!
Answer
Well, if you're going to be a SAHM who is only going to be pumping very rarely, don't spend the $175 and get a Swing. Unless you can get one used (which is not un-hygenic like people think).
But for your purposes, the best medela pump would be the Harmony. It's manual and cheap, and really does the job.
I have both the harmony and the Swing. I liked the Swing for when I tried exclusive pumping, but once that stage went out the window and I went back to nursing, the harmony worked just fine.
Well, if you're going to be a SAHM who is only going to be pumping very rarely, don't spend the $175 and get a Swing. Unless you can get one used (which is not un-hygenic like people think).
But for your purposes, the best medela pump would be the Harmony. It's manual and cheap, and really does the job.
I have both the harmony and the Swing. I liked the Swing for when I tried exclusive pumping, but once that stage went out the window and I went back to nursing, the harmony worked just fine.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar