Sterilizing parts of breast pump?




Leah's Mom


I have a medela pump in style breast pump, and I haven't used it yet (I'm still 29 weeks pregnant) but in the instructions, it says to sterlize all of the parts that touch the breastmilk in boiling water for 10 minutes. Forgive me for being silly, but wouldn't that melt the plastic tubing?
It's funny you mention kellymom, I was reading my breast feeding book and it said to go there! I will check it out, same with those steam bags!



Answer
The plastic tubing doesn't touch the milk except in very rare instances. You can however sterilize them if you want. I donate breast milk so it is important that I keep my pump immaculate and I find the easiest way to sterilize all the parts is to use the microwave steam bags. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2735035&CAWELAID=107504437 Each bag can be used 20 times, and the instructions for how much water to use and how long to microwave the bag (typically 3 minutes) are right on there. You can do all the hard plastic parts at once, or two bottles, or the tubes.

Also, since you are planning to nurse, have you checked out www.kellymom.com? It is the best breastfeeding resource online and was a big sanity saver for me in the early days when I had a thousand questions!

Congratulations on your little one and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

Edit: I have it bookmarked and I've been spent so much time on it you would think I would have it memorized by now! The steam bags are really great. I put his teethers in there too and for the couple weeks he used a pacifier I steamed them as well. It is so much faster and easier than boiling everything! One more thing - you don't need to sterilize the tubing unless it gets milk in it. In 33 weeks of off and on pumping I have not had that happen.

should i bring my breast pump to breast feeding class?




proudmomma





Answer
Only if you have a specific question about how to use it. My class was more instruction on how to hold the baby and what a good latch on is. The instructor touched on pumping, but more in general terms. She will probably be happy to help you with your pump after class.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar