How would you support mothers breastfeeding in public?




TOGA TOGA


So I'm doing a persuasive essay on breastfeeding in public, and I'm totally for it. Mothers should always be able to breastfeed in public without having rude comments, stares, or being asked to go to the bathroom. The point is to get my audience to share that view.

One thing I'm having trouble with is how to support this... what can my audience do to activelly show their support for mothers who breast feed in public?
Tiffany... thats a great idea but we are not allowed visual props during this speech so not an option... but I would definitely do that!
In regards to a blanket, some women prefer it for their own comfort but I know a lot of babies get fussy if they are covered up. It shouldn't be an issue if they are not covered. They are still doing whats right for their child. You see more boobage at the Oscars and at the Walmart on those posters they sell there..!



Answer
Positive comments to breastfeeding moms. Business owners can put up the breastfeeding icon to show they are breastfeeding friendly - I LOVE seeing that! Vote for politicians who support pro-breastfeeding legislation. When such legislation is being decided on, write/call your elected officials and tell them to support it. Encourage friends and family who have babies to breastfeed, and to do so freely in your presence. Give breastfeeding friendly baby gifts, such as nursing covers, lanolin cream, and breast pads. Don't give new moms pacifiers, bottles, formula, or related items unless you know she really needs/wants them. Stay away from baby items that depict bottles, such as wrapping paper, gift bags, blankets, baby dolls for older siblings, etc. Anything that makes breastfeeding the norm rather than bottle feeding is helpful. Encourage mothers to keep their baby with them, don't expect her to leave the baby with a babysitter as that hinders breastfeeding. Inviting a breastfeeding mom to an event (such as a wedding) and then telling her that babies and children are not welcome is totally rude and inappropriate. A young breastfed baby should be able to go with mom anywhere and everywhere. Employers should be flexible with hours, allow breastfeeding moms plenty of break time for pumping and make available a clean, private room (not a bathroom) with a locking door for her to pump in. Even better, let her bring her baby to work with her. Anything like this that supports and encourages breastfeeding (even if it's not specific to breastfeeding in PUBLIC) will help mothers feel more comfortable about breastfeeding their babies, and that carries over to breastfeeding in public. Showing her in other ways that you support breastfeeding will help her feel comfortable breastfeeding in front of you.

When to stop breastfeeding?




Mrs. Jones


My story is very long so I will try to make it short:

-Had many issues with breastfeeding for the first few weeks of my daughters life
-Exclusively pumped and dried up at 3 weeks
-Gave daughter formula and she developed acid reflux and allergies to the formula
-did everything we could to help her and nothing worked!
-Started breastfeeding again successfully when she was 6 weeks

She is now 2 months old and doing a lot better. Thing is, I have to go back to work in a minimum of a few months... I don't want to wean her off the breast and her start having issues with formula again though. I definitely won't be able to pump at my work. It is non stop from the beginning to the end of the shift i'm lucky if I get a bathroom break! I am the manager so I am doing this to myself. lol I feel I have to be there. I just don't know what to do. I am starting a stash of breast milk in our freezer and don't know how long it will last when I do have to go back to work. When she is 6 months will she take the formula better because her digestive system is more developed? Plus she will be eating some solids so her reflux will be a little better. I just don't know what to do!



Answer
I would keep doing what you are doing for now. Continue building your stash. When you return to work, just take it one week at a time. Nurse your daughter while at home and get to work early and pump at least once, then. It doesn't have to be all formula or all breastmilk. If and when your supply starts dropping, her caretakers can start supplementing with formula when there is not enough expressed milk. At 6 months, she will probably also be starting solids, so that will help, too. Just take it one step at a time because you really don't know how exactly everything is going to turn out.

There is now a federal law (part of last year's healthcare legislation) that now requires many workplaces to provide time and a place to pump.
http://www.ncsl.org/?tabid=14389
Your state may possibly have laws, as well. (Mine does not.)
However, I know from experience it can be easier said than done. You might be told that it is ok, but that you are responsible for taking your breaks or finding someone to cover for you. (I would be supposedly get a five minute break every hour, but the restroom was clear across the plant. I was able to pump, but sometimes people would then start paging me.)
When you return to work, you should probably just force yourself to take those breaks and hope nothing goes wrong. Maybe you can designate a person to be in charge while you are gone.

To make pumping easier at work, I recommend getting extra sets of the parts you normally wash, so you can wait until you get home, and pump directly into the bottles.

Like others have said, you have worked so hard for this so far and you deserve the chance to keep up the good work.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar