Kristi
I will only use the pump to feed(so it will be used frequently)
Im not on the go, but i want to store the milk
i want to use drop in bottles(less to clean)
and i want it to be as easy as possible so i stick with it
Answer
What I'd recommend for exclusive pumping is the Medela Symphony. It's the same one a lot of hospitals use and is very comfortable and efficient. You rent it rather than buying, and would probably pay in the neighborhood of $70 a month (that is what we charge at work). The kit you'll need is ~$50, and you may be charged a deposit as well. We charge $25 for a deposit, but we return that when the pump is returned. The hospital will probably know where you can find a rental station. The drawback to these is that they are big and awkward to carry around. That won't be an issue if you're only using it at home, and this pump is the only one I'd personally use in a situation like yours. It'll keep your supply going better than any other.
I also like the Medela Freestyle, and some women would probably say this would be fine for exclusive pumping, depending on your supply. It has a bunch of bells and whistles, such as a backlit timer and meter to show the strength at which the pump is set. It also has a memory button, so if you have a good pumping session you can go back to the same settings for next time. It is also a hands-free pump. You can use it while you type emails, write thank-you notes, whatever. It'll run you about $380.
If you just want the very best pump for the money, I'd go with Medela's Pump in Style Advanced. It's about $280, but in my opinion is about as good for efficiency as the Freestyle. It just isn't as fancy.
All three of these pumps feature two-phase expression. If you nurse a baby you'll notice that he first sucks fast and shallow to stimulate your milk let-down. Then he will start sucking longer and deeper when the milk is flowing. The pump simulates that, and it increases mom's comfort as well as decreasing the time spent pumping.
I love the Medela pumps because I've used them and sell them at work. I would NOT recommend buying a used one, because you really never know unless you're getting it from a friend how long it was used, if it's sanitary, and how much life it has left in it. For instance, it could've been stored in a hot attic for three years after having been used for two babies. That wouldn't be the greatest pump to get, even for a cheap price. The motors are not meant to last forever, and I've seen several moms at work who thought they had low milk supply when really they just had an old run-down pump. In your case it's especially important since all the milk your baby gets will be expressed by the pump. The exception is the rental Symphony. The system is closed so there's no way a mother's milk can get into the machine, and they are built to last through many, many mothers.
I have not used drop-in bottles, but I didn't have any trouble with cleaning the Medela ones that came with the pump. Honestly, you are going to be doing a ton of disinfecting anyway if you plan to pump exclusively! I'd just do the bottles while I was at it. It won't be that bad, especially if you have a dishwasher. You might also want to get some of Medela's smaller storage containers (they are closer to what a newborn would actually consume in one feeding; about 2.5 ounces), or some of the Pump & Save bags. Medela makes the bags, but you can get them from other companies too.
There is a ton more info at medela.com. Good luck!
What I'd recommend for exclusive pumping is the Medela Symphony. It's the same one a lot of hospitals use and is very comfortable and efficient. You rent it rather than buying, and would probably pay in the neighborhood of $70 a month (that is what we charge at work). The kit you'll need is ~$50, and you may be charged a deposit as well. We charge $25 for a deposit, but we return that when the pump is returned. The hospital will probably know where you can find a rental station. The drawback to these is that they are big and awkward to carry around. That won't be an issue if you're only using it at home, and this pump is the only one I'd personally use in a situation like yours. It'll keep your supply going better than any other.
I also like the Medela Freestyle, and some women would probably say this would be fine for exclusive pumping, depending on your supply. It has a bunch of bells and whistles, such as a backlit timer and meter to show the strength at which the pump is set. It also has a memory button, so if you have a good pumping session you can go back to the same settings for next time. It is also a hands-free pump. You can use it while you type emails, write thank-you notes, whatever. It'll run you about $380.
If you just want the very best pump for the money, I'd go with Medela's Pump in Style Advanced. It's about $280, but in my opinion is about as good for efficiency as the Freestyle. It just isn't as fancy.
All three of these pumps feature two-phase expression. If you nurse a baby you'll notice that he first sucks fast and shallow to stimulate your milk let-down. Then he will start sucking longer and deeper when the milk is flowing. The pump simulates that, and it increases mom's comfort as well as decreasing the time spent pumping.
I love the Medela pumps because I've used them and sell them at work. I would NOT recommend buying a used one, because you really never know unless you're getting it from a friend how long it was used, if it's sanitary, and how much life it has left in it. For instance, it could've been stored in a hot attic for three years after having been used for two babies. That wouldn't be the greatest pump to get, even for a cheap price. The motors are not meant to last forever, and I've seen several moms at work who thought they had low milk supply when really they just had an old run-down pump. In your case it's especially important since all the milk your baby gets will be expressed by the pump. The exception is the rental Symphony. The system is closed so there's no way a mother's milk can get into the machine, and they are built to last through many, many mothers.
I have not used drop-in bottles, but I didn't have any trouble with cleaning the Medela ones that came with the pump. Honestly, you are going to be doing a ton of disinfecting anyway if you plan to pump exclusively! I'd just do the bottles while I was at it. It won't be that bad, especially if you have a dishwasher. You might also want to get some of Medela's smaller storage containers (they are closer to what a newborn would actually consume in one feeding; about 2.5 ounces), or some of the Pump & Save bags. Medela makes the bags, but you can get them from other companies too.
There is a ton more info at medela.com. Good luck!
What Breast Pump do you recommend?
Michelle N
I see so many in different ranging prices, but many have poor reviews. I have my eye on a Medela. But really want some reviews from all of you ladies. Thanks!!!
Answer
I have the double pump electric Medela Pump In Style Breast Pump and the Medela Harmony Manual Breastpump. I can honestly say I love, love the manual breast pump much more. It is small enough to carry around in my bag and it doesn't do the normal "tug of war" on your nipples like all other pumps, sorry if that is tmi. The harmony suctions and does one continuous flow, it is so much easier on your nipples.
http://www.target.com/Medela-Harmony-Manual-Breastpump/dp/B0006HBS1M/sr=1-7/qid=1242488132/ref=sr_1_7/178-4150508-0265040?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Amedela%20breast%20pump&page=1
http://www.target.com/Medela-Pump-Style-Breast-Shoulder/dp/B0011E5LYE/sr=1-1/qid=1242488132/ref=sr_1_1/178-4150508-0265040?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Amedela%20breast%20pump&page=1
I have the double pump electric Medela Pump In Style Breast Pump and the Medela Harmony Manual Breastpump. I can honestly say I love, love the manual breast pump much more. It is small enough to carry around in my bag and it doesn't do the normal "tug of war" on your nipples like all other pumps, sorry if that is tmi. The harmony suctions and does one continuous flow, it is so much easier on your nipples.
http://www.target.com/Medela-Harmony-Manual-Breastpump/dp/B0006HBS1M/sr=1-7/qid=1242488132/ref=sr_1_7/178-4150508-0265040?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Amedela%20breast%20pump&page=1
http://www.target.com/Medela-Pump-Style-Breast-Shoulder/dp/B0011E5LYE/sr=1-1/qid=1242488132/ref=sr_1_1/178-4150508-0265040?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Amedela%20breast%20pump&page=1
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar