manual breast pump playtex image
Heaven
I am a first time mom, I will be going back to work full time after I have my daughter. I am planning on breast feeding and obviously ill have to have a breast pump to go back to work. I had originally wanted a medela double pump, but as the due date draws near, this will not be in my budget. I am wondering if the single pump (which is half the price) will work for me just as well, or if maybe I should go with a cheaper double pump.
Answer
Firstly if you have health insurance they may cover it. Check. I got my Medela PIS for $60 after my deductible was met (after I had the baby). My Ob wrote me the prescription. If you qualify for WIC (and you may - since you say a $300 pump is not in your budget) then you can get a free hospital grade Medela pump for the first year. Call the WIC off ice & find out if you are in the income bracket to apply. If not - I personally preferred the Playtex Double Embrace electric pump. I got better output, it is hospital grade, it is more comfortable & it is a totally enclosed system (which the Medela PIS is not actually). You might end up replacing parts a bit earlier, but at half the price you can afford to do that. You can also rent hospital grade Medelas here from any home health care store for around $30 per month. That is STILL much cheaper than formula anyway.
NOW - when you are AT the hospital - tell them you plan to pump for work & ask to use THEIR pump. When they bring it in you will be GIVEN a hand pump as well and a bunch of parts. Usually they are Medela & they will be compatible with any Medela pump you get later. I even asked for a new set after about 12 hrs saying I had no way to properly wash them & they brought me another set. the sets I received a doubel manual Medela Lactina. Personally I think it is an AWFUL hand pump as I hate those plunger types - they are too tiring - BUT the parts are great. They are okay for occasional use, but a manual pump, at least this style, is NOT suitable for every day use. I guess if you have great biceps & forearms maybe. I actually needed Dh to work the manual pump because I couldn't make it through one whole pump session. :/ The parts all did line up great with my PIS though & saved me $35 per set - as that is what a fill replacement set of flanges, tubes, etc cost from Medela.
Firstly if you have health insurance they may cover it. Check. I got my Medela PIS for $60 after my deductible was met (after I had the baby). My Ob wrote me the prescription. If you qualify for WIC (and you may - since you say a $300 pump is not in your budget) then you can get a free hospital grade Medela pump for the first year. Call the WIC off ice & find out if you are in the income bracket to apply. If not - I personally preferred the Playtex Double Embrace electric pump. I got better output, it is hospital grade, it is more comfortable & it is a totally enclosed system (which the Medela PIS is not actually). You might end up replacing parts a bit earlier, but at half the price you can afford to do that. You can also rent hospital grade Medelas here from any home health care store for around $30 per month. That is STILL much cheaper than formula anyway.
NOW - when you are AT the hospital - tell them you plan to pump for work & ask to use THEIR pump. When they bring it in you will be GIVEN a hand pump as well and a bunch of parts. Usually they are Medela & they will be compatible with any Medela pump you get later. I even asked for a new set after about 12 hrs saying I had no way to properly wash them & they brought me another set. the sets I received a doubel manual Medela Lactina. Personally I think it is an AWFUL hand pump as I hate those plunger types - they are too tiring - BUT the parts are great. They are okay for occasional use, but a manual pump, at least this style, is NOT suitable for every day use. I guess if you have great biceps & forearms maybe. I actually needed Dh to work the manual pump because I couldn't make it through one whole pump session. :/ The parts all did line up great with my PIS though & saved me $35 per set - as that is what a fill replacement set of flanges, tubes, etc cost from Medela.
what is the best way to store and freeze breastmilk?
God'sGrace
i saw the stick ice cube trays that freeze it in 1oz sticks making it easy to stick in any bottle and put in the bottle warmer. but they are $23 each. im new at this and still trying to get ahead in pumping so open to any suggestions
Answer
When I had to formula feed my girls, I used drop-in bottles from playtex. Now that I nurse my son, I bought a playtex pump and a kit to use the drop-in liners to pump in. The pump was only $20 on sale, the kit was less than $10, and between both, I got a bunch of rings and lids. To pump, you just put the ring on the bottle, then drop the liner in and screw that all onto the pump. Then I pumped until I was done, and unscrew the ring and the bottle together from the pump and screw the lid on. Then I put in the fridge, and after it gets cold, I unscrew the bottle, but the liner is still held between the ring and the lid. Then I put it in the freezer upside down, and it freezes. There's always extra room in the liner to help it freeze, so it doesn't pop.
This probably didn't make a lot of sense, so here's a link to the rings and lids kit:
http://www.playtexbaby.com/Breastfeeding/Breast-Milk-Storage-Kit.aspx
And the pump I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-6557-Manual-Breast-Pump/dp/B000K52I1E
The pump even came with two bottles, one of each kind of the playtex ones. I used the nurser.
Good luck!
When I had to formula feed my girls, I used drop-in bottles from playtex. Now that I nurse my son, I bought a playtex pump and a kit to use the drop-in liners to pump in. The pump was only $20 on sale, the kit was less than $10, and between both, I got a bunch of rings and lids. To pump, you just put the ring on the bottle, then drop the liner in and screw that all onto the pump. Then I pumped until I was done, and unscrew the ring and the bottle together from the pump and screw the lid on. Then I put in the fridge, and after it gets cold, I unscrew the bottle, but the liner is still held between the ring and the lid. Then I put it in the freezer upside down, and it freezes. There's always extra room in the liner to help it freeze, so it doesn't pop.
This probably didn't make a lot of sense, so here's a link to the rings and lids kit:
http://www.playtexbaby.com/Breastfeeding/Breast-Milk-Storage-Kit.aspx
And the pump I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-6557-Manual-Breast-Pump/dp/B000K52I1E
The pump even came with two bottles, one of each kind of the playtex ones. I used the nurser.
Good luck!
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar