baby care orpington image
Tonya
They set on them and they just started pipping, i was wondering if my hens can raise them for about 1 or 2 days then i was gonna raise them rest of way!! Thanks
Answer
In my experience, chickens don't seem to notice breed differences. The size difference shouldn't be an issue until the orpingtons get super big, and even then the chickens might not notice it.
We had a bantam hen desperate to sit and hatch so we let her. To up her chances I stuck some of the other hen's eggs under her. In the end one of her own hatched and one of the others hatched. She didn't notice, they were her babies and she was so proud and happy.
Currently our rooster is a bantam and the hens are of mixed sizes. The big hens dont seem to care what size their company is. We do keep the little rooster away from the older bantams, he stresses them out too much. Overall the size differences don't really seem to be too much of an issue.
In my experience, chickens don't seem to notice breed differences. The size difference shouldn't be an issue until the orpingtons get super big, and even then the chickens might not notice it.
We had a bantam hen desperate to sit and hatch so we let her. To up her chances I stuck some of the other hen's eggs under her. In the end one of her own hatched and one of the others hatched. She didn't notice, they were her babies and she was so proud and happy.
Currently our rooster is a bantam and the hens are of mixed sizes. The big hens dont seem to care what size their company is. We do keep the little rooster away from the older bantams, he stresses them out too much. Overall the size differences don't really seem to be too much of an issue.
How to raise baby chickens?
Olivia Ren
I am wanting to get some chicks this spring, so we can have fresh eggs. What all do I need for them? I have two one gallon size water things. What type of food do I need, what do I keep them in and what type of chicks should I get? I want nice chickens.
What breed is the best egg layer? Which chickens are good with kids?
Answer
First I would recommend reading up on the care of chickens. A good book is "Storey's guide to Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow. I would look at breeds such as Buff or White Orpington's that are friendly and good brown egg layers. Leghorns lay white eggs but are a lot more high strung. There also are Araucanas/Americanas that lay blue/green colored eggs. In my experience, they are not as sociable as the Orpington's. As far as food goes, you would want to buy chick starter. This can be supplemented with scratch grains and table scraps as treats. They love berries, fruit, bread, etc. When they are chicks, you need to have a heat lamp to keep them warm. You will then need a "coop" to keep them closed up at night to protect them from predators and give them a safe place to lay eggs in the daytime. Predators include things like raccoons, skunks, hawks, and the things people usually think of like foxes, coyotes, the neighbors dogs, etc. Read up on it and make sure you are set up for them before you actually get the chicks. They grow extremely fast! Have fun!
First I would recommend reading up on the care of chickens. A good book is "Storey's guide to Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow. I would look at breeds such as Buff or White Orpington's that are friendly and good brown egg layers. Leghorns lay white eggs but are a lot more high strung. There also are Araucanas/Americanas that lay blue/green colored eggs. In my experience, they are not as sociable as the Orpington's. As far as food goes, you would want to buy chick starter. This can be supplemented with scratch grains and table scraps as treats. They love berries, fruit, bread, etc. When they are chicks, you need to have a heat lamp to keep them warm. You will then need a "coop" to keep them closed up at night to protect them from predators and give them a safe place to lay eggs in the daytime. Predators include things like raccoons, skunks, hawks, and the things people usually think of like foxes, coyotes, the neighbors dogs, etc. Read up on it and make sure you are set up for them before you actually get the chicks. They grow extremely fast! Have fun!
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar