Loren
I have done a little research and I am a little stuck.
This is my second child and I would like to breast feed for longer then I did with my first (3 months), I have investigated renting a pump, but that is just not worth it in the long run. $45 a month and you have to buy the "collection kit", so $100 for the first month. I called my insurance and I do not have breast pump rental or purchase coverage. I plan to go back to work full time after my 12 week maternity leave and I work in a small office so finding the time and place to pump is not an issue. With my first, I used the WIC pump (Medela Lactina) and I did not seem to get enough when pumping, maybe 1oz per breast after 30 minutes. I have heard that the culprit to that may have been the wrong sized breast shield (I did not know there was different sizes) So I plan on asking the lactation specialist.
Anyway I am between the -
Playtex Embrace - Everyone loves the silicone breast shield vs the hard plastic. And since I had hard plastic last time, I was thinking maybe I needed silicone.
Medela Pump In Style - The reviews are great, but I am leary because my experience with the Lactina.
What is your take? Any tips?
31 weeks pregnant currently.
Answer
I REALLY like the Ameda Purely Yours pump. I actually have 2--one that I keep at home and one that goes back and forth to work with me. I was able to keep up with my daughter's needs for the first year, pumping only once during my 7 hour work day. (The rest of the time I breastfed.) They have different sizes of breastshields, so you can look into that.
I love it because the milk doesn't ever get into the tubing, and so everything that touches the milk is easily sanitized each time. The collection kit also matched the one the hospital gave me (I had to pump because my daughter was in the NICU.)
If you are worried about supply, then start pumping LONG before you go back to work. Decide the time of day you will pump, and then immediately after a feeding close to that time, pump for 10-15 minutes, and empty your breasts. If you do this every day at roughly the same time, it will signal to your breasts to make more milk at that time of day. Then, when you are only pumping at that time of day, you will be able to get more. Starting pumping before you go back to work will also help you have a supply of frozen breastmilk for those days when you don't pump as much, or the first day back to work.
I have no experience with either of the models you listed, but I have heard VERY good things about the Medela, and nothing about the Playtex one.
I REALLY like the Ameda Purely Yours pump. I actually have 2--one that I keep at home and one that goes back and forth to work with me. I was able to keep up with my daughter's needs for the first year, pumping only once during my 7 hour work day. (The rest of the time I breastfed.) They have different sizes of breastshields, so you can look into that.
I love it because the milk doesn't ever get into the tubing, and so everything that touches the milk is easily sanitized each time. The collection kit also matched the one the hospital gave me (I had to pump because my daughter was in the NICU.)
If you are worried about supply, then start pumping LONG before you go back to work. Decide the time of day you will pump, and then immediately after a feeding close to that time, pump for 10-15 minutes, and empty your breasts. If you do this every day at roughly the same time, it will signal to your breasts to make more milk at that time of day. Then, when you are only pumping at that time of day, you will be able to get more. Starting pumping before you go back to work will also help you have a supply of frozen breastmilk for those days when you don't pump as much, or the first day back to work.
I have no experience with either of the models you listed, but I have heard VERY good things about the Medela, and nothing about the Playtex one.
Breast Pump question?
humanbefor
This may sound silly, but I am going to ask it anyway. Because of some circumstances, I have to pump my breast milk and give it to my daughter in a bottle. She gets half breast milk and half formula. I have been pumping and transferring it to a bottle continuously for a few days now and my breasts/nipples are so unbelievably sore. I use the lanolin which helps a little but not a lot. It is too the point where my breasts hurt all the time making it very uncomfortable. Again, because of some issues, I am unable to feed her directly from the breast, so this is not an option. I am determined to at least feed her half breast milk, but the pain is really getting to me. Can there be permanent damage to my breasts from the constant sucking from the pump? Any suggestions to help ease my discomfort?
Answer
First off these are not silly questions. I had to pump for the first 4 months of my son's life because he was a preemie and unable to nurse directly from me. Pumping is really exhausting and time consuming but I think it is worth it in the long run. You may want to change the size of the nipple shield. (Not sure if that is the right terminology, but I am talking about the piece that surrounds your nipple when you are pumping.) I am not sure what kind of pump you have, but I rented one from the hospital. Most hospitals do this and they are so much more efficient than the store brands. Your breasts/nipples will feel very sore until you get into a pattern with pumping. It should ease up. But I found that my nipple shield was too big and when I went to a smaller size it worked much better and did not cause as much pain. Good Luck!!
First off these are not silly questions. I had to pump for the first 4 months of my son's life because he was a preemie and unable to nurse directly from me. Pumping is really exhausting and time consuming but I think it is worth it in the long run. You may want to change the size of the nipple shield. (Not sure if that is the right terminology, but I am talking about the piece that surrounds your nipple when you are pumping.) I am not sure what kind of pump you have, but I rented one from the hospital. Most hospitals do this and they are so much more efficient than the store brands. Your breasts/nipples will feel very sore until you get into a pattern with pumping. It should ease up. But I found that my nipple shield was too big and when I went to a smaller size it worked much better and did not cause as much pain. Good Luck!!
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar