can i still breastfeed if my baby hasnt been on the breast in two months...but i still have drops of milk?




deanna


i breastfed the first two months and switched to formula cuz i wasnt getting enough milk to satisfie my baby....she is four months now an i still have milk drops. is there anyway i can get my milk built back up again??


Answer
you would have to start pumping every 2 hours starting today. Hire or buy a double electric pump and do it for 10 mins every 2 hours. Put her to the breast before each pumping session as her sucking will produce more, if its going to come back.
She may be more comfortable with a silicone nipple shield to start with and then once the supply is established and she is used to breastfeeding you can wean off the shields

Most importantly, see your doctor and get a prescription for MOTILLIUM/DOMPERIDONE, that is the drug given to help women re-lactate or boost supply for those that are dwindling. It can work very very well and make women who have never even given birth, a milk supply
Its definately worth a trip to the doctor for the prescription.

Also drink TONS of water and supposedly taking fenugreek will help

It is possible if you pump, put her to the breast and get the prescription to start off the supply for you. Once the supply is back you can probably stop doing all the above but it will take a few weeks at least but its definately possible if you put in the hard work

Breastfeeding friend wants help but doesn't listen to advice. What to do?

Q. My friend has a 5 week old son. She is breastfeeding her baby, but she is having problems. She is experiencing a lot of pain and discomfort when her baby latches. The automatic thought would be that his latch is incorrect, and to seek help from a lactation consultant, right? Well, our town's two midwives, who are board certified lactation consultants, have worked with her many times since her baby has been born and it has not gotten better. She has seen the hospital's certified lactation consultant, and spoke with a La Leche League leader, who suggested everything that the midwives already suggested. She has had him to an osteopath and a massage therapist.

My friend says she is told her baby has a very tense suck, and he chews while sucking, and doesn't move his tongue in the right way. (My son had this problem, too, it corrected itself). She describes the pain (she's bleeding, too) like he has razor blades in his mouth.

I experienced the exact same thing with my son, but we gave it time and we overcame it. I keep telling her that he needs to learn, and only time is going to help him learn. She gave up breastfeeding after just 2 weeks with her other kids.

Normally I wouldn't be so involved with personal stuff like this, but she is coming to me for advice and I don't know what else I can suggest to her. I've suggested using Poly Derm to help with the healing (worked for my lacerated nipple fabulously) and to freeze maxi-pads and put them on her nipples just before she latches. I've also suggested cooling gel packs in her bra between nursing. But it seems at the same time that she's not receptive to the advice she asks for. She shoots me (and our friends) down every time we suggest something.

She messages us every week to tell us how it's going. Last week, at 4 weeks, she sounded very defeated. She says she is very frustrated and sore, and she has two kids an no time to be a human pacifier. She says he clamps down on her nipple and yanks away suddenly. She says he keeps coming off and she has to keep putting him back on, and that because of this, he is super gassy. (my suspicion is that she has an overactive letdown and overproduction, which I have dealt with twice, but she has not listened to any of my suggestions).She says he just snacks all day, not giving her nipples a chance to rest.

How do I help her? She asks for my help but she's got a very defeatist attitude. I keep telling her that her situation was exactly like mine and we are going on 6 months exclusively breast feeding, but she brushes me off and acts like I am just rubbing it in her face or something. It's like she wants advice but won't listen to it. I'm stumped. She says she doesn't want to turn to formula so at her request myself and our friends are trying to help her, but falling on deaf ears. What to do? She breastfed her first two kids for 2 weeks each, so this is the longest she's gone with 3 kids.
See, I think she went into this based on what she saw outwardly from me and all of our friends. Baby fusses, we latch them on, baby is satisfied. But what she didn't see was all the tears and stress and difficulties we ALL had in the first 2 months. She expected it to be *so* easy, and it rarely is when you start out, so she thinks her problems are specific to her and she bemoans that often. and when we try to tell her "yup, we went through this, too" or similar, she can't believe us because all she sees are older babies who latch with no pain or problems. She even sent an email to all of us looking for support one week and said "To all of you who says it gets better...REALLY? I don't get how that can be". I feel so sorry for her.


Answer
Two suggestions. The first you will probaby ridicule. A cabbage leaf in her bra can be very soothing. Second hire an electric breast pump and put the baby on a bottle for some or all of its feeds. This will give her nipples a rest. You can also buy a nipple shield. I believe that part of breast feeding is the mother's tears dripping on the baby's head in the early days.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar