How hard will it be to breastfeed my baby and take care of my 2 year old?




MommyMe


I am due in June with my third child. My middle child and the new baby will be 23 months apart in age. How hard will it be to nurse the new baby and take care of my toddler? Anyone else have any experiences they could tell me about? I am debating on bottle feeding, and yes I know breastfeeding is #1. Thanks!


Answer
Wow, we are in identical situations. I have a 2-year-old myself and due in June with my second. Here's what I'm doing to plan ahead for this very issue...

I bought a baby sling for the newborn so I can carry him everywhere I go and will still have two hands free to attend to my toddler. I got mine at www.hotslings.com and they can be used in several different carry positions to accomodate a newborn or older baby. You can even breastfeed while wearing the baby in the sling! I also like the idea of being able to wear the baby while I do things like grocery shop. Since my 2-year-old will be in the seat of the cart, I can just put the baby in the sling and we're off!

I got a portable Moses basket for the baby so I can carry him from room to room and be wherever the toddler needs to be.

I am also planning to get my daughter a special baby doll to care for, as well as some accesories similar to things I will be using with the new baby... pretend diapers, a baby doll basket, etc. I even got her a mini "Boppy" pillow (actually a travel neck pillow bought from Walgreens, which was an idea someone here at Answers gave me) so she can "nurse" her baby alongside mommy.

I have my home set up so she can't get into much of anything by using baby gates and closed doors. So, I don't anticipate I'll be chasing her around too much since she'll be playing in the safe areas of our home all of the time anyway.

Well, I hope that helps. And from one nursing mom's perspective, I could never see bottle feeding as being more convenient. I have babysat my sisters babies (all formula fed) many times, and really hated all the measuring, mixing and cleaning involved. Ugh! Sure, breastfeeding may take a little extra time in the beginning, but it gets so much easier (as you know) and it sure beats cleaning and sterilizing baby bottles any day! Best of luck to you! =;o)

How to intrduce new baby to his 2 year old sister?




Jenni


I am due at any moment to have my 2 year old daughters little brother. I was just wondering how to introduce her to her sibling. I am a stay at home mom so my daughter gets all my time and I am worried she will be jealous of the baby. She has helped me prepare his room, and pick things out for him. She knows his name, and yells at my tummy that he needs to come out and play! lol

We have bought her a little gift that the baby is going to give to her when they meet, but any suggestions on how to introduce and make the transition easier?

HOw did your toddler handle it?



Answer
Just act like it's the most exciting thing ever for her to have a baby brother. Keep your worries to yourself - try to be positive and happy about the whole thing. Include her in taking care of the baby as much as you can, and find ways she can help take care of him. Encourage her to talk and sing to him, pat him gently, rock the car seat, tuck a blanket over him, bring you diapers/wipes/etc. for him, help push the stroller, hold him (with supervision), etc. When my daughter was 2, she would push her baby brother around the house in an umbrella stroller while I was trying to cook dinner. This actually was a HUGE help for me because it kept him quiet and happy for a little bit longer. She loved being able to take care of her brother and was very proud of being able to help. She also brought me things I needed while I was nursing, such as my water jug, a spit-up cloth, or a blanket. Now she's 5 and has two little brothers, and loves and takes care of both of them. We've never really had any jealousy. Most of the sibling issues we've had start later, when the baby is old enough to want a particular toy and grab it away from the older sibling, or when the baby becomes mobile and is constantly getting in the middle of what the older child is doing.

As far as the first meeting, don't make too big a deal of it. When your daughter sees you for the first time after the birth, she may be more interested in seeing YOU and hugging you than in meeting the baby. She may be interested in the baby, or maybe not - both are normal. So give her some hugs, show her the baby, and see how she reacts. If she's really interested, you can let her try holding the baby - have her sit down on a couch or bed. Put a pillow under one of her arms to support it and put baby's head on that arm and body in her lap. Of course you or another adult should be right there supervising and helping the whole time.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar