Kimberly D
I am breastfeeding and its new to me. I have been doing it three weeks and ive been pumping with a manual pump everyday and get anywhere from 5-6 ounces out a day. pumping only once in the morning. I have been storing the milk in fridge for like two days and then putting them in those breast milk bags that zip lock... they are specially made for breast milk // my question is how long can they go in a reg. freezer?? I have my bags on the door of my freezer and I saw that my milk is frozen the next day and it almost looks freezer burn to me is that normal is it ok for it to stay in there?? is it going to go bad??
And also can you add fresh milk to milk thats been in the fridge?
Answer
If you know you are going to freeze your milk, try putting it in the freezer as soon as possible, not after 2 days. The longer the milk sits, the more it breaks down. As it breaks down it may take on a sopay smell or taste, which is still ok to give to baby but it may taste a little different. (Though babies have a less developed sense of taste than most people realize.)
To avoid freezer burn, get as much air out of the bag as possible. (I do this by sliding the top of the bag on the edge of the counter until all the little bubbles are out or sliding it between my fingers). I a regular freezer that sits atop a refigerator my info says 3-4 months, but this should not be in the door. After my milk has frozen, I put the small bags into 1-gallon zip lock bags or tupperware continers, that way they do not get scratched or poked by other items and I do not have loose bags all ove the freezer.
If you know you are going to freeze your milk, try putting it in the freezer as soon as possible, not after 2 days. The longer the milk sits, the more it breaks down. As it breaks down it may take on a sopay smell or taste, which is still ok to give to baby but it may taste a little different. (Though babies have a less developed sense of taste than most people realize.)
To avoid freezer burn, get as much air out of the bag as possible. (I do this by sliding the top of the bag on the edge of the counter until all the little bubbles are out or sliding it between my fingers). I a regular freezer that sits atop a refigerator my info says 3-4 months, but this should not be in the door. After my milk has frozen, I put the small bags into 1-gallon zip lock bags or tupperware continers, that way they do not get scratched or poked by other items and I do not have loose bags all ove the freezer.
Breast pump for first time mom? Too many options!!?
Jamie's Mo
Ok so I'm going to put a pump on my list to make everyone happy (I'm tired of the "you need to do this, you should add this, etc") Anyway, this is my first, so needless to say, I feel like a kid in a candy store and can only pick out one thing! I don't understand the differences in them, the reason for 20 brands and each brand having 10 different kinds!!
Can someone please recommend a good, easy to use one? Like specific models? (I'm overwhelmed and too tired to look at all of them)
What's the differences in the storage methods? Which ones are easiest to freeze with? Do you have to have certain bottles or can you just attach any of them or will I have to pour it into the bottle he likes?
Just please tell me everything you know about breastfeeding and pumping!!.....
Oh, and can you use a used pump?
Answer
I had the same problem before my son was born. I was a first time mom with EVERYONE giving me advice. I just listened to what everyone said and then made my own decisions.
I bought the Avent manual pump just after he was born. It was only $35 and it works great. I am a stay at home mom so I don't use if all the time, but it does a great job. I can pump a full four ounces in just about 5 minutes.
When he was about a month old I bought the Medela Swing electric pump. At first I loved it, but now I actually prefer to use the manual. The electric is nice, but it takes longer to get the same amount of milk.
With the Avent manual I used Avent bottles so I don't have to transfer the milk for him. That is really the reason I bought that pump in the first place. With the Medela I transfer the milk to the Avent bottles or the freezer bags.
For storing I use the Lansinoh Breastmilk storage bags. The are nice because they have a double ziploc seal at the top. I've never had any problems with leaking or anything. I have also tried the Gerber bags and they are ok too.
Breastfeeding is difficult in the beginning. I cried pretty often. I suggest you take full advantage of the lactation consultant at the hospital. She was a huge help for me. I even went back twice after we left the hospital.
Stick with it and everything will work out.
You may also want to avoid purchasing the double electric pump before the baby is born. There are a few cases where breastfeeding doesn't work and once you open the breastpump you can't return it. Just a thought to consider. Good luck to you.
I had the same problem before my son was born. I was a first time mom with EVERYONE giving me advice. I just listened to what everyone said and then made my own decisions.
I bought the Avent manual pump just after he was born. It was only $35 and it works great. I am a stay at home mom so I don't use if all the time, but it does a great job. I can pump a full four ounces in just about 5 minutes.
When he was about a month old I bought the Medela Swing electric pump. At first I loved it, but now I actually prefer to use the manual. The electric is nice, but it takes longer to get the same amount of milk.
With the Avent manual I used Avent bottles so I don't have to transfer the milk for him. That is really the reason I bought that pump in the first place. With the Medela I transfer the milk to the Avent bottles or the freezer bags.
For storing I use the Lansinoh Breastmilk storage bags. The are nice because they have a double ziploc seal at the top. I've never had any problems with leaking or anything. I have also tried the Gerber bags and they are ok too.
Breastfeeding is difficult in the beginning. I cried pretty often. I suggest you take full advantage of the lactation consultant at the hospital. She was a huge help for me. I even went back twice after we left the hospital.
Stick with it and everything will work out.
You may also want to avoid purchasing the double electric pump before the baby is born. There are a few cases where breastfeeding doesn't work and once you open the breastpump you can't return it. Just a thought to consider. Good luck to you.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar