is it ok to just pump the milk all the time rather then feeding of the breast?




Louise


If im breastfeeding my lil one is it ok to just pump the milk all the time or should i feed him from the breast as well im an out going person so will be out a lot visiting relatives and friends so will be easier to just pump. will it be the same as him feeding of the breast?? No stupid comments please especially u men who seem to think that breast feeding is child porn when it is absolutely not. Thanks for your answers.


Answer
Good on you for breast feeding :)

It's fine to just pump rather than feed directly, although you may miss a little of the closeness of direct breast feeding. It can be quite time consuming (pumping the milk, washing and sterilizing the equipment). Also, pumping exclusively doesn't quite drain the breasts as well and some women can get blocked ducts or mastitis. Personally, I never had any problems with this when I was pumping so it doesn't happen to everybody. You do have to pump quite reguarly, probably at least every four hours to maintain your supply otherwise it may be reduced.

When my son was little I did both until he began to refuse the bottle and only wanted the milk directly. I still pump sometimes if he's not drinking as much due to teething etc. The worst thing, in my opinion, was being completely exhausted at 2am but having to get up and pump, wash and sterilize.

Good luck!

Is breast pumping inconvenient?




mama to ro


I really hate breastfeeding and I'm constantly fighting with my baby who takes five minutes to latch and is crying and everything is messy and milk is getting everywhere. I want to switch to pumping and bottle feeding, but my mom has me convinced that that it's more inconvenient to heat bottles and clean them than to fight her and have bad latches and have her crying out of frustration because she can't get on for five minutes. Has anyone had experience with pumping or switching to pumping and found it easier/harder? Thank you!


Answer
Are you engorged at the beginning of a feeding session? This would absolutely cause difficulty latching at the beginning, and would explain the "mess" and leakage that you're describing. Using a manual pump (or manually expelling a bit of milk) pre-feeding can clear out just enough so that you are less engorged,will make it so that you have a clearer nipple for her to latch on to. Or, initiate a feeding when you feel "full" but not completely engorged. This will also help her to latch on easier, and will drain your breast more fully as well.

There are actually many discussion boards of mothers who exclusively pump for their infants (and kudos to you for wanting to still provide your infant with breastmilk, even if direct breastfeeding does not work out for the two of you for whatever reasons!). There is a very good thread in the "family" section of the PriceScope.com forums for exclusive pumpers.

I do not exclusively pump. I breastfeed, and each morning (or any time I feel the need to), I use a medela manual pump to express at least 2-4 ounces to freeze for later use when necessary (when engorged, or when baby decides to sleep through a "normal" feeding schedule, to maintain my supply). I don't find it a hassle, but then, for 9/10 feedings, he is on the breast. I would personally get quite weary of washing bottles (and cleaning pump parts!) for every feeding/pumping session. But that's just me. There are *many* women who exclusively pump.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar