emo_pengui
A lady who I baby sat for gave me her used electric Evenflow breast pump. I figured if I steralized it a few times before I used it, and everytime I did use it [I won't be using it often, only if I plan on going out and occasionally if I have someone staying with me to help feed him at night like my mother in law or someone] But someone told me today that that's not safe. Is it safe to use a used breast pump?? I can't afford to buy an electric breast pump on my own. Should I buy a manual one and use that instead, or is it safe to use the one I have? And how can I best steralize it so it's safe for me to use? Thanks!
She said that if the lady I babysat for had had any infections, especially thrush, it didn't matter how much I steralized it, the infection could still be passed through, including HIV, Thrush, and other stuff like that. Is that true?? The lady only used it for a few months, she didn't breastfeed very long.
And I also heard that you could run them through the dishwasher on the top rack, all the bottles and tubes and everything. Would that work? And if I did that would I use dishwasher soap, or no soap, or what?
I don't have the instructions or anything. It's in the carry case she used, it came with all it's bottles and everything. Nothing says weather it's dishwasher safe. There is a tag on the carrier where the moterized part that says surface clean only with damp rag. Is that for the whole thing or just the moterized part? It can't be for the tubes and bottles and everything, can it?
Answer
Providing it is correctly washed and sterilised there should be no problems with using a second hand pump, espcially one that has rarely been used anyway.
Do you have the instruction booklet or box with it? Look in the instructions as to dishwasher safety and if its possible take the whole thing apart and wash it in the dishwasher a couple of times at the hottest temp possible without wrecking it. If its not dishwasher safe then fill your sink with very hot soapy water and soak for 20mins then scrub clean. Then refill sink with boiling water to rinse it all out.
Once cleaned, then sterilise it twice also to kill anything that is left in there.
If that doesn't make the thing like brand new then I don't know what will, lol!!
There is absoutely nothing wrong with using second hand providing you know where its come from and clean it properly
Providing it is correctly washed and sterilised there should be no problems with using a second hand pump, espcially one that has rarely been used anyway.
Do you have the instruction booklet or box with it? Look in the instructions as to dishwasher safety and if its possible take the whole thing apart and wash it in the dishwasher a couple of times at the hottest temp possible without wrecking it. If its not dishwasher safe then fill your sink with very hot soapy water and soak for 20mins then scrub clean. Then refill sink with boiling water to rinse it all out.
Once cleaned, then sterilise it twice also to kill anything that is left in there.
If that doesn't make the thing like brand new then I don't know what will, lol!!
There is absoutely nothing wrong with using second hand providing you know where its come from and clean it properly
Medela mini electric breast pump bags?
sparkelpin
Has anyone used the Medela mini electric breast pump with the 'pump n save' bags? Do they attach to the pump ok? Is a seal formed between the bag and the pump? The pictures I have seen look as if the bag just hangs loose which doesn't seem very hygenic considering things need to be sterile for babies.
Thanks
Serialmo - Many thanks for your answer, I have filed it under 'D' - Desperate for points. Did I ask for an opinion on breastfeeding? I don't think so. I wouldn't bad mouth you for bottle feeding so why bad mouth me for breastfeeding.
I suppose we are all entitled to an opinion, I guess some are just mouthier than others....
Answer
They do attach ok. You seal them with a yellow strap that has to be wrapped around the breast shield. I never had any problem using them.
You can find the instructions here,
http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/files/folders/128/download.aspx
They do attach ok. You seal them with a yellow strap that has to be wrapped around the breast shield. I never had any problem using them.
You can find the instructions here,
http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/files/folders/128/download.aspx
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar