My breasts are small, does this mean I will have less breastmilk?

Q. My breasts are pretty small, I barely fill out a B cup. I am trying to get pregnant, and I am worried that since my breasts are so small, I won't be able to feed the baby enough because I won't have as much milk as compared to having large breasts. Does anyone know how much of a difference it makes for a mother with small breasts to breastfeed?


Answer
no. breast tissue is mostly fat and obviously mammary glands as well. My breast size fluctuates greatly (from barely B, to full c's/small d's while I was breast feeding) and I had no trouble producing enough milk to satisfy him. I did need to drink fennel and fenugreek tea, as well as blessed thistle root but many women find this helpful.

My cousin is very busty and she did produce much more milk than I, but I don't think her breast size was a factor at all. If anything, I've heard that smaller breasts are easier for babies to latch onto. I don't know how true that is, b/c I'm guessing most nipples / areolas are average size. Make sure you take the breastfeeding class offered by the hospital, your obgyn office or la leche league. This is a common question but one that is 99.9999% answered with "no, you won't have any problem producing enough milk b/c of breast size".

And for many women, their milk doesn't come in for a few days anyway, and when it does, they only get 1-2 oz at a time. It's important to remember:

babies are not born hungry. They are feeding 24/7 while in utero. So they can go a few hours without nursing. having said that, it's still wonderful to attempt to nurse and bond skin to skin minutes after delivery if possible (for me, there were complications and my son went to NICU so I had to wait about 8 hrs to see him). I still pumped 20ml's (about 2/3 oz) of colostrum.

The more your baby nurses, the more you will produce, even if only 3-4 minutes at a time every 30 minutes, your body will get the message to make more. If you are afraid baby is not sucking enough, you can pump in between feedings and trick your body into making more. freeze that milk and save it until you introduce a bottle.

Has anyone tried one of those hands-free breast pumps? Like the one you wear in your bra?




sks42683


If so, what did you think of it and would you recommend it (and which one did you use)? I am pumping full-time with a double electric Medela pump and it's going well but it would be really nice if I didn't have to sit in one position and hold the two suction cup thingies all the time. I get so thirsty when I pump but I don't have a free hand to drink with. Or I could read a book while I'm doing it. I'd just like to hear from some people who have used one before running out and spending $$$ on yet another pump.


Answer
i also use the same breast pump as you and i have been for almost 6 months now. when my daughter was about 3 months i found this hands free bra in a magazine. its the best thing thats ever happened. its so nice to be able to pump hands free. the site that i linked you too sells the bra for $5 less than any where else i could find. good luck.

http://addalittlelove.com/easy_expression_bustier.html




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar