Smile F
What are some good brands/models you have used or are using that you really like? I'm looking for a double pump b/c when one breast is being fed on the other one leakes alot and sometimes squirts! Plus i hear double pumping is more effective.
Answer
I exclusively breastfed both my daughters for 1 year each. My first daughter had difficulty latching so I had to pump for the whole first month.
I used a single pump called the First Years Electric Pump and I didn't like it as well as the second pump I bought, when I had my next child. This is because pumping each side independently was time consuming and the double layered silicone flange included in the First Years Pump was irritating to my breast tissue and left me sore.
I spoke with a lactation consultant through the La Leche League web site and she recommended the Medela Pump In Style Double Electric Breastpump to me. Its portable, easily cleanable, has comfortable simple flanges. It worked beautifully and had adjustable suction control and speed control. I was easily able to pump about 8 oz. at a time (4 oz. in each bottle). She recommended this one over the advanced multiple phase expression technology found in Medela Pump in Style Advanced because this I believe it does not allow you independant speed and suction controls, but they are combined I believe and most women prefer to be able to manipulate both controls independently of each other enabling you to have a custom comfort level in regards to speed and strength of suction. Its a matter of personal preference as any Medela Double Electric pump will get the job done, but if you are looking for comfort and ease of adjusting the speed then I'd go with the Medela Pump in Style Original Double Electric breastpump. I payed around $275.00 for mine a year and a half ago. It still works and has lasted through a whole year of breastfeeding and I'm planning on using it for the next baby as well. I am 24 wks pregnant with baby #3.
Edit: I found it pretty easy to clean with a bottle brush and dish detergent, then I'd let it air dry on a bottle rack, then place it in my steam sterilizer for 5 minutes. Voila! Clean pump and no fuss, no muss...I expect all pumps require the same amount of cleaning and sanitizing regardless of style. I did find the First Years pump VERY hard to clean as it had an interlocking breast flange with two parts, a connection ring, a membrane, bottle, and top piece for the pump collection bottle....too much like work. Medela is the better of the two. There are only three parts to wash: membrane, flange and bottle...much easier.
I hope my advice was helpful to you.
I exclusively breastfed both my daughters for 1 year each. My first daughter had difficulty latching so I had to pump for the whole first month.
I used a single pump called the First Years Electric Pump and I didn't like it as well as the second pump I bought, when I had my next child. This is because pumping each side independently was time consuming and the double layered silicone flange included in the First Years Pump was irritating to my breast tissue and left me sore.
I spoke with a lactation consultant through the La Leche League web site and she recommended the Medela Pump In Style Double Electric Breastpump to me. Its portable, easily cleanable, has comfortable simple flanges. It worked beautifully and had adjustable suction control and speed control. I was easily able to pump about 8 oz. at a time (4 oz. in each bottle). She recommended this one over the advanced multiple phase expression technology found in Medela Pump in Style Advanced because this I believe it does not allow you independant speed and suction controls, but they are combined I believe and most women prefer to be able to manipulate both controls independently of each other enabling you to have a custom comfort level in regards to speed and strength of suction. Its a matter of personal preference as any Medela Double Electric pump will get the job done, but if you are looking for comfort and ease of adjusting the speed then I'd go with the Medela Pump in Style Original Double Electric breastpump. I payed around $275.00 for mine a year and a half ago. It still works and has lasted through a whole year of breastfeeding and I'm planning on using it for the next baby as well. I am 24 wks pregnant with baby #3.
Edit: I found it pretty easy to clean with a bottle brush and dish detergent, then I'd let it air dry on a bottle rack, then place it in my steam sterilizer for 5 minutes. Voila! Clean pump and no fuss, no muss...I expect all pumps require the same amount of cleaning and sanitizing regardless of style. I did find the First Years pump VERY hard to clean as it had an interlocking breast flange with two parts, a connection ring, a membrane, bottle, and top piece for the pump collection bottle....too much like work. Medela is the better of the two. There are only three parts to wash: membrane, flange and bottle...much easier.
I hope my advice was helpful to you.
What's the best breast pump that's not too expensive?
Kristina
My niece was born yesterday and my SIL is breast feeding but doesn't have a pump yet. She wants an electric one that's double but of course she wants the most expensive Medela. What are some alternatives? I have a 20% off Babies R Us coupon but its not good on Medela products.
Answer
If she's going to ever be away from the baby, then investing in a good breast pump is a LOT cheaper than formula feeding, which is almost a certainty if she skimps on a sub-optimal breast pump. It's not needed for a while, as you're not supposed to use them for the first 6 weeks of a baby's life as direct breastfeeding is the best way to establish supply, and if baby's premature then the hospital should have provided her with a hospital-grade double-pump. Even then, it's not a guarantee she'll be able to successfully breastfeed even if she religiously pumps every 3 hours round-the-clock until baby can come home and for long enough in a sitting.
If she's not ever going to be separated from baby, then it's not so important to have a top of the line pump, and a less than top pump will be adequate for relieving engorgement or helping increase her supply. If she's ever going to be away from baby, then a Medela Swing pump is the very minimum of what she'll need, and she can get a tube from ebay to convert it to a double-pump once she gets another bottle and the correct attachments. It's only about $300, while the Symphony is about $600. But like I said, even if she gets the Symphony it's a LOT cheaper than formula and is a great investment for her baby's health, and double-pumping is not only faster than single pumping, but also helps increase supply and is more effective than single pumping. If she's never going to be separated from her baby, then an Avent one which Babies R Us carries would be sufficient.
While she could rent a hospital-grade pump for about $15 a week, the catch is if it gets damaged while it's in her possession she'll be liable for the cost of replacement, which is between $5-6000 usually. A Medela Symphony works just as well, for a 10th of the price.
I wouldn't worry about the coupon for a breast pump. Consider that a piece of medical equipment, while the coupon would be great for general baby-care items like cots, bedding, car seats etc.
If she's going to ever be away from the baby, then investing in a good breast pump is a LOT cheaper than formula feeding, which is almost a certainty if she skimps on a sub-optimal breast pump. It's not needed for a while, as you're not supposed to use them for the first 6 weeks of a baby's life as direct breastfeeding is the best way to establish supply, and if baby's premature then the hospital should have provided her with a hospital-grade double-pump. Even then, it's not a guarantee she'll be able to successfully breastfeed even if she religiously pumps every 3 hours round-the-clock until baby can come home and for long enough in a sitting.
If she's not ever going to be separated from baby, then it's not so important to have a top of the line pump, and a less than top pump will be adequate for relieving engorgement or helping increase her supply. If she's ever going to be away from baby, then a Medela Swing pump is the very minimum of what she'll need, and she can get a tube from ebay to convert it to a double-pump once she gets another bottle and the correct attachments. It's only about $300, while the Symphony is about $600. But like I said, even if she gets the Symphony it's a LOT cheaper than formula and is a great investment for her baby's health, and double-pumping is not only faster than single pumping, but also helps increase supply and is more effective than single pumping. If she's never going to be separated from her baby, then an Avent one which Babies R Us carries would be sufficient.
While she could rent a hospital-grade pump for about $15 a week, the catch is if it gets damaged while it's in her possession she'll be liable for the cost of replacement, which is between $5-6000 usually. A Medela Symphony works just as well, for a 10th of the price.
I wouldn't worry about the coupon for a breast pump. Consider that a piece of medical equipment, while the coupon would be great for general baby-care items like cots, bedding, car seats etc.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar