Q. My soon to be seven month old does not drink from a bottle. I just breast feed I tried several bottles dr brown,tommee tippee and the tommee tippee sippee cup she doesn't want any of them.today I received the breast flow bottle and I pumped milk into it and tried for about three hours to get my bby to drink from it.she wined n cried a little n chewed on the nipple.she took in some of the milk but continued to cry because she wants it from the breast.and I gave into her because my husband wants to watch tv without the noise. I'm tryin to get her on the bottle some ppl tell me to let her go cold turkey and its so hard any one have advice..im desperate
Going back to school and during the summer I don't want to have to pop my breast out everywhere for her to drink.
Going back to school and during the summer I don't want to have to pop my breast out everywhere for her to drink.
Answer
What you're experiencing I went through with my three breast fed/bottle fed (pumped breast milk) kiddos. They had nipple confusion. I used the Dr. Brown's glass bottle with a WIDE nipple. All three of mine were preemies. It was extremely difficult to get my eldest to latch on to my breast, but he had no problems with latching on to the bottle. It takes persistence. DO NOT give in if you're trying to exclusively get her to bottle feed. Keep giving her the bottle until she willingly takes it. That's what I had to do with my younger two when they were at daycare. Sometimes they refused to eat there, but they were starving by the time I picked them up. Just be patient and don't give in if you want her strictly on the bottle.
As far as your husband wanting to watch the tv. Tell him to get off of his ass and help you! He's perfectly capable of giving her a bottle as you are. That's a selfish father if you ask me. My husband did that to me when our first son was born, and we had a lot of problems for the first few months of his life. I was in the Navy (I'm retired now), and I was TIRED! I needed rest too, but he just sat there watching me do everything for our son. Finally I told him I had had enough. I walked out of the house for a day, left our son with bottles of pumped breast milk, and I let my husband take care of him over night while I went to a hotel to get some sleep. It was the best night of sleep I had in months. My husband had a huge change of heart of how he was treating me.
That's my best advice: Make her father give her the bottles & feeds. Don't give in to her whining & crying. She will eventually take a bottle I promise.
What you're experiencing I went through with my three breast fed/bottle fed (pumped breast milk) kiddos. They had nipple confusion. I used the Dr. Brown's glass bottle with a WIDE nipple. All three of mine were preemies. It was extremely difficult to get my eldest to latch on to my breast, but he had no problems with latching on to the bottle. It takes persistence. DO NOT give in if you're trying to exclusively get her to bottle feed. Keep giving her the bottle until she willingly takes it. That's what I had to do with my younger two when they were at daycare. Sometimes they refused to eat there, but they were starving by the time I picked them up. Just be patient and don't give in if you want her strictly on the bottle.
As far as your husband wanting to watch the tv. Tell him to get off of his ass and help you! He's perfectly capable of giving her a bottle as you are. That's a selfish father if you ask me. My husband did that to me when our first son was born, and we had a lot of problems for the first few months of his life. I was in the Navy (I'm retired now), and I was TIRED! I needed rest too, but he just sat there watching me do everything for our son. Finally I told him I had had enough. I walked out of the house for a day, left our son with bottles of pumped breast milk, and I let my husband take care of him over night while I went to a hotel to get some sleep. It was the best night of sleep I had in months. My husband had a huge change of heart of how he was treating me.
That's my best advice: Make her father give her the bottles & feeds. Don't give in to her whining & crying. She will eventually take a bottle I promise.
Breast pumping Plz Help?
Re Re
I'm breast feeding my baby and i'm just starting the breast pump she is about a month old and i'm not sure if i'm doing it right..I let her eat and then i pump about 3 1/2 ounces now does that leave me dry and how long does it take to for the breast to refill in milk?I'm not quit sure how to do this and its been worrying me that since i pump she isnt getting enough to eat how do i know?and any one who can give me advice on how to do this i would appricate it thank you!
Answer
Your breasts are never empty -breasts are NOT flesh covered bottles. If you were to feed, pump, and feed with no break at all there would be milk for baby -even though the pump may not be able to get more milk.
You can tell she is getting enough milk the same way as always:
-Enough wet diapers
-Enough poop (though around this age the frequency can drastically reduce)
-Adequate weight gain
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction-faq.html#refillmyth
Do breasts need time to refill?
Many people mistakenly think of a mother's milk supply as being like "flesh-covered bottles" that are completely emptied and then need time to refill before baby nurses again. This is simply not how we understand milk production to function.
First of all, milk is being produced at all times, so the breast is never empty. Research has shown that babies do not take all the milk available from the breast - the amount that baby drinks depends upon his appetite. The amount of milk removed from the breast varies from feed to feed, but averages around 75-80% of the available milk.
! Trying to completely empty a breast is like trying to empty a river -- it's impossible, since more milk will keep flowing in while milk is being removed.
Research also tells us that the emptier the breast, the faster the breast makes milk. So when baby removes a large percentage of milk from the breast, milk production will speed up in response.
! Rather than thinking of nursing or pumping as "pouring milk out of a container" think of it as flipping on the "high speed production" switch!
! Yet another analogy: Imagine you are using a straw to drink from a glass of water. As you drink, a friend is very slowly pouring water into your glass. The emptier the glass, the faster your friend pours the water. Would you be able to drink all the water in your glass?
Waiting a set amount of time to nurse your baby (under the mistaken belief that breasts need time to "refill") is actually counterproductive. Consistently delaying nursing will lead to decreased milk supply over time because milk production slows when milk accumulates in the breast.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
IS BABY GETTING ENOUGH? -- QUICK REFERENCE CARD
~~~ BIRTH to 6 WEEKS ~~~
WEIGHT GAIN:
If baby is gaining well on momâs milk alone, then baby is getting enough. A 5-7% weight loss during the first 3-4 days after birth is normal. Baby should regain birth weight by 2 weeks. Once momâs milk comes in, average weight gain is 6 oz/week. If these goals are not met, call your lactation consultant. More on weight gain.
WET DIAPERS: 5 - 6+ sopping wet diapers per day (after 1st week).
Expect one wet diaper on day one, increasing to 5-6 by one week. To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of water into a clean diaper (if baby wets more often, then the amount of urine per diaper may be less). Urine should be pale and mild smelling.
DIRTY DIAPERS: 3 â 4+ dirty diapers per day (after day 4).
Stools should be yellow (no meconium) by day 5 and the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is usually yellow and is loose (soft to watery, may be seedy or curdy). More on infant stooling.
OTHER POSITIVE SIGNS: After a feeding, momâs breast feels softer and baby seems reasonably content. Baby is alert, active and meeting developmental milestones.
Your breasts are never empty -breasts are NOT flesh covered bottles. If you were to feed, pump, and feed with no break at all there would be milk for baby -even though the pump may not be able to get more milk.
You can tell she is getting enough milk the same way as always:
-Enough wet diapers
-Enough poop (though around this age the frequency can drastically reduce)
-Adequate weight gain
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction-faq.html#refillmyth
Do breasts need time to refill?
Many people mistakenly think of a mother's milk supply as being like "flesh-covered bottles" that are completely emptied and then need time to refill before baby nurses again. This is simply not how we understand milk production to function.
First of all, milk is being produced at all times, so the breast is never empty. Research has shown that babies do not take all the milk available from the breast - the amount that baby drinks depends upon his appetite. The amount of milk removed from the breast varies from feed to feed, but averages around 75-80% of the available milk.
! Trying to completely empty a breast is like trying to empty a river -- it's impossible, since more milk will keep flowing in while milk is being removed.
Research also tells us that the emptier the breast, the faster the breast makes milk. So when baby removes a large percentage of milk from the breast, milk production will speed up in response.
! Rather than thinking of nursing or pumping as "pouring milk out of a container" think of it as flipping on the "high speed production" switch!
! Yet another analogy: Imagine you are using a straw to drink from a glass of water. As you drink, a friend is very slowly pouring water into your glass. The emptier the glass, the faster your friend pours the water. Would you be able to drink all the water in your glass?
Waiting a set amount of time to nurse your baby (under the mistaken belief that breasts need time to "refill") is actually counterproductive. Consistently delaying nursing will lead to decreased milk supply over time because milk production slows when milk accumulates in the breast.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
IS BABY GETTING ENOUGH? -- QUICK REFERENCE CARD
~~~ BIRTH to 6 WEEKS ~~~
WEIGHT GAIN:
If baby is gaining well on momâs milk alone, then baby is getting enough. A 5-7% weight loss during the first 3-4 days after birth is normal. Baby should regain birth weight by 2 weeks. Once momâs milk comes in, average weight gain is 6 oz/week. If these goals are not met, call your lactation consultant. More on weight gain.
WET DIAPERS: 5 - 6+ sopping wet diapers per day (after 1st week).
Expect one wet diaper on day one, increasing to 5-6 by one week. To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of water into a clean diaper (if baby wets more often, then the amount of urine per diaper may be less). Urine should be pale and mild smelling.
DIRTY DIAPERS: 3 â 4+ dirty diapers per day (after day 4).
Stools should be yellow (no meconium) by day 5 and the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is usually yellow and is loose (soft to watery, may be seedy or curdy). More on infant stooling.
OTHER POSITIVE SIGNS: After a feeding, momâs breast feels softer and baby seems reasonably content. Baby is alert, active and meeting developmental milestones.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar