electric breast pump on plane image
Nyhia's ma
I breastfeed my 7 month old baby girl who normal drinks milk 4 times a day, twice by breast and twice by bottle. I will be traveling via airplane next week and I need to know if I will be able carry on my pump? I have a Medela In Style. If not, is there an smaller electric pump that I will be able to carry on or pack in my luggage? I will not be pumping on the airplane. I would like to know what to expect as far as airport security goes when travelling with a pump and breastmilk? And also how should I store the milk supply until I get home? I will be leaving Tuesday and returning home Friday.
Thanks for your answers so far... I do not want to travel without my daughter but this is a business trip that was sprung on me today. I have never been without her and this will be hard. Advice on that would be great as well.
Answer
I'm assuming you're traveling without your daughter. You should be able to carry your pump without any problem but if you don't plan to pump on the plane, it may be easier to just check it so there's no question, unless you're not checking any baggage. While on your trip, pump at the times you would normally pump at home to provide the bottled milk and pump at the times you would normally breastfeed your daughter. You should have access to ice at a hotel or possibly a small refrigerator that you can keep the milk in during the trip. Freeze the milk in breastmilk storage bags and lay them flat while they freeze so they take up as little space as possible in your bag. Be sure to carry an insulated bag and a few ice packs to store the milk on the trip home.
As for carrying the milk on the plane, there should be no problem. Just tell the security agent that you have expressed breastmilk in your bag. If possible, store it in 3 oz portions just to make things easier, but even if you don't it shouldn't be a problem carrying it on the plane. Again, if you check your baggage, you won't have a problem at all. Here is a website with more information on the TSA's regulations for carrying breastmilk on the plane.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm
I'm assuming you're traveling without your daughter. You should be able to carry your pump without any problem but if you don't plan to pump on the plane, it may be easier to just check it so there's no question, unless you're not checking any baggage. While on your trip, pump at the times you would normally pump at home to provide the bottled milk and pump at the times you would normally breastfeed your daughter. You should have access to ice at a hotel or possibly a small refrigerator that you can keep the milk in during the trip. Freeze the milk in breastmilk storage bags and lay them flat while they freeze so they take up as little space as possible in your bag. Be sure to carry an insulated bag and a few ice packs to store the milk on the trip home.
As for carrying the milk on the plane, there should be no problem. Just tell the security agent that you have expressed breastmilk in your bag. If possible, store it in 3 oz portions just to make things easier, but even if you don't it shouldn't be a problem carrying it on the plane. Again, if you check your baggage, you won't have a problem at all. Here is a website with more information on the TSA's regulations for carrying breastmilk on the plane.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar