what is a normal amount of breast milk?

breast pump vs breastfeeding
 on Fly Like You Do It ... Like A Woman ( HOT ) - INNA
breast pump vs breastfeeding image



Sweet Chee


My milk came in on Monday but I have been pumping with an electric breast pump because my twin girls are in the NICU. I was told that I can take them breast milk but I can only pump about 1 ounce after an hour of pumping. Its weird that I only get so little because my breasts feel really hard and full. Is it normal or should I be getting way more by now?


Answer
It is normal, but there is something to fix it.

Engorgement makes it difficult to pump... you have to try to give yourself a let down... here's some info:

-Gentle breast massage from the chest wall toward the nipple area before nursing.

-Cool compresses for up to 20 minutes before nursing.

-Moist warmth for a few minutes before nursing may help the milk begin to flow (but will not help with the edema/swelling of engorgement). Some suggest standing in a warm shower right before nursing (with shower hitting back rather than breasts) and hand expressing some milk, or immersing the breasts in a bowl or sink filled with warm water. Avoid using warmth for more than a few minutes as the warmth can increase swelling and inflammation.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/engorgement.html

this manual method of milk expression is also good because it allows for more physical contact with the breast, vs a pump which is just sucking - once you get a let down started, you can hook your pump up and you'll notice much more coming down: http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

when they allow you to start breastfeeding them in person, here's a lot of info on that... even if only once or twice a day, they'll benefit from your milk and your warmth/love/comfort/...
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/preemie/index.html

Does breast pumping out any nutrients from your body?




alwaysPink


Like does your body lose any nutrients? Or stays consistent?

I want to pump and save but I worry that my milk won't be as healthy as the milk pumped!?



Answer
Of course your body loses nutrients. What do you think is in the milk? Magic and unicorn blood? In all seriousness kudos to you for considering breastfeeding.

The key is to replenish these nutrients with a healthful diet - so there should be no issue. Your milk would be high-quality and your health (as well as your baby's would not suffer).

I would advise breastfeeding more often vs. bottle feeding (even with breast milk) when at all possible.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar