Leslie
I had originally bought $50 pump from walmart but when the lady at hospital found out i was going to be going back to work full-time she said she highly recommended getting a medela so i did the pump in style used it for the first time this morning and only got 1 ounce! (on left side) and i could tell my breast was full? what gives when i used my other pump before i always got more than that ..anyone else had this problem..it worries me because i go back to work on the 20th and im worried i wont be able to pump enough milk for him he's 8 weeks old and likes to eat alot!
Answer
pumps don't work like baby so you won't get as much pumping as baby might eat nursing but babies seem to adjust. I learned fast not to buy the pumps from the store because they don't really work at first but once i got my milk supply going with the medela double pump i was able to get 4-6 oz (sometimes more) at a time then the hand pump worked ok once i had the milk supply in. It is hard to get the pumps to latch on properly to get the milk supply out. I would feel so full and pump and get only 1 oz at first and was so worried and upset but the Dr said that I may just need to adjust how the pump is suctioning and massage my breasts before and during the pumping. It seemed to really help when i did the preparation before hand. I always had extra milk in the freezer when using the medela double pump. They are so expensive though that I know most woman can't afford the good ones (I couldn't have it if wasn't for family donations to get it).
pumps don't work like baby so you won't get as much pumping as baby might eat nursing but babies seem to adjust. I learned fast not to buy the pumps from the store because they don't really work at first but once i got my milk supply going with the medela double pump i was able to get 4-6 oz (sometimes more) at a time then the hand pump worked ok once i had the milk supply in. It is hard to get the pumps to latch on properly to get the milk supply out. I would feel so full and pump and get only 1 oz at first and was so worried and upset but the Dr said that I may just need to adjust how the pump is suctioning and massage my breasts before and during the pumping. It seemed to really help when i did the preparation before hand. I always had extra milk in the freezer when using the medela double pump. They are so expensive though that I know most woman can't afford the good ones (I couldn't have it if wasn't for family donations to get it).
Body not responding to breast pump?
Audrey and
My son is 2 weeks old and a week ago I started to add a pump session here and there to build up my freezer supply for work. I have a 15 month old who I was only able to BF for 3 months. As soon as I went back to work I only was able to pump a total of 4 oz a day! That's with three fifteen minute sessions with my high end Medela pump. I go back to work at the end of July and I am really worried about not being able to provide for little man. I have tried all the tricks, and even took Fenugreek and a perscription from my OB to increase my supply with my daughter. The past 4 pumping sessions I have tried recently I got maybe 1/4 oz total! Usually I pump an hour after he eats. I get more if I pump while he is on the other side, but that's not something that will work while working. Help Mamas?
Answer
You can try to start off with messing around with pump sessions. I did far better with a lower setting. Do breast compressions while you pump too. So start at the place where your breast meets your body & massage downward toward the nipple (while pumping).
If you get better output while nursing, then you are struggling to get the letdown reflex triggered while pumping. You may also try practicing hand expression in the shower. I say in the shower because heat helps & because working on aim takes a bit of practice. Here is a good video on how to hand express: http://video.about.com/breastfeeding/Hand-Expression-Technique.htm
If you do end up supplementing, just know it's not the end of the nursing relationship & you can still continue to nurse while together & give him whatever breastmilk you are able to express while away. I have a friend who never got even drips out while pumping & she still pumped for the stimulation while at work & still nursed her daughter to 20 months. So do NOT let pump output discourage you from making your nursing goals. I found the less I worried about how much I pumped, the better I pumped.
When I was first pumping (at home( I found drinking ONE beer to help me relax AND give better output. Dr Thomas Hales is quoted on the La Leche League site with this to say about beer:
***Thomas W. Hale, R.Ph. Ph.D., member of the LLLI Health Advisory Council, says this in his book Medications and Mothers' Milk (12th ed.):
Significant amounts of alcohol are secreted into breastmilk although it is not considered harmful to the infant if the amount and duration are limited. The absolute amount of alcohol transferred into milk is generally low. Beer, but not ethanol, has been reported in a number of studies to stimulate prolactin levels and breastmilk production (1, 2, 3). Thus it is presumed that the polysaccharide from barley may be the prolactin-stimulating component of beer (4). Non-alcoholic beer is equally effective. ****
So you can *try* it & see what it does for you. I wouldn't recommend you drink beer at work, but it might help you relax & maybe even get a bit more milk.
Most importantly remind yourself that you ARE doing a great job. Having a tiny one isn't easy, you are tired & likely need more rest then you are getting. Don't let this stress you out. I had to supplement here & there with my 1st - then I found ways to get better output, etc & you'll find what works for you too. It is hard going back to work with little ones. I took a piece of clothing he had worn & a small photo album of him & looked at those while pump & smelled his clothes. It DID help me with getting letdown
You can try to start off with messing around with pump sessions. I did far better with a lower setting. Do breast compressions while you pump too. So start at the place where your breast meets your body & massage downward toward the nipple (while pumping).
If you get better output while nursing, then you are struggling to get the letdown reflex triggered while pumping. You may also try practicing hand expression in the shower. I say in the shower because heat helps & because working on aim takes a bit of practice. Here is a good video on how to hand express: http://video.about.com/breastfeeding/Hand-Expression-Technique.htm
If you do end up supplementing, just know it's not the end of the nursing relationship & you can still continue to nurse while together & give him whatever breastmilk you are able to express while away. I have a friend who never got even drips out while pumping & she still pumped for the stimulation while at work & still nursed her daughter to 20 months. So do NOT let pump output discourage you from making your nursing goals. I found the less I worried about how much I pumped, the better I pumped.
When I was first pumping (at home( I found drinking ONE beer to help me relax AND give better output. Dr Thomas Hales is quoted on the La Leche League site with this to say about beer:
***Thomas W. Hale, R.Ph. Ph.D., member of the LLLI Health Advisory Council, says this in his book Medications and Mothers' Milk (12th ed.):
Significant amounts of alcohol are secreted into breastmilk although it is not considered harmful to the infant if the amount and duration are limited. The absolute amount of alcohol transferred into milk is generally low. Beer, but not ethanol, has been reported in a number of studies to stimulate prolactin levels and breastmilk production (1, 2, 3). Thus it is presumed that the polysaccharide from barley may be the prolactin-stimulating component of beer (4). Non-alcoholic beer is equally effective. ****
So you can *try* it & see what it does for you. I wouldn't recommend you drink beer at work, but it might help you relax & maybe even get a bit more milk.
Most importantly remind yourself that you ARE doing a great job. Having a tiny one isn't easy, you are tired & likely need more rest then you are getting. Don't let this stress you out. I had to supplement here & there with my 1st - then I found ways to get better output, etc & you'll find what works for you too. It is hard going back to work with little ones. I took a piece of clothing he had worn & a small photo album of him & looked at those while pump & smelled his clothes. It DID help me with getting letdown
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar