audreyu88
I am going to be a first-time mom and I'm planning to breastfeed as well as pump for as long as I can. I have read that it's good to start off baby with your breast as well as the bottle so in the long run, he/she will be flexible. The problem is that there are so many electric breast pumps in the market and I am still indecisive over getting a single or double electric pump. Other than time, does the double have any additional benefits that the single doesn't offer?
Avent isis seems to be a great brand overall and I plan to buy their bottles, sterilizer etc. If I were to buy other brands, will it be as easy as being able to pump into the avent bottles? Would appreciate all experienced mommies' feedback out there! Thank you!
Answer
I have a Medela Pump in Style. All of the women that I know who pump (it's several) have it too. It has been on sale at drugstore.com lately. http://www.drugstore.com/templates/stdplist/default.asp?catid=26912&trx=29985&trxp1=26912&trxp2=2 I don't know much about the Avent pump, but I know Medela works great. Also, Medela bottles are BPA free, and Avent are not. http://www.environmentcalifornia.org/environmental-health/stop-toxic-toys/bisphenol-a-overview You might also want to be open to using other bottles because your baby might not like the Avent nipple (you usually have to try a few kinds; I tried Avent and my baby would not take it). Even if you decide to go with the Avent bottles, I never actually pump into the feeding bottle, I pump into a storage bottle and then transfer it to the feeding bottle later. I use glass bottles for storage and Born Free for feeding. http://www.newbornfree.com/
I would recommend a double pump because it is easier to get the let down in both breasts at one time. Let down is the biggest problem with pumping -- you cannot control it and it is hard to get it without being totally relaxed and without your baby there. So the Medela pumps have a special feature where the pump sucks quickly until you have a let down, then switches to longer, slower sucking, just like your baby. Not sure if Avent has that. Anyways, when you have a let down in one breast, often it happens in both breasts and you will actually start leaking on the other side. So a double pump is going to be more efficient about getting the milk and if you have leaking, you won't have to worry about it. If you have a single pump, I guess you do one and then the other, I don't know if I would even be able to get a second let down very easily. But I have not tried it.
And yes, I do think it is a great investment. Think of it this way: if you cannot pump effectively while you are away, it could eventually hurt your milk supply. If your supply drops too much, you might have to switch to supplementing with formula (and supplementing with formula only exacerbates the supply problem, so many women who start to offer any formula eventually end up quitting breastfeeding altogether). If you have to use formula, it is VERY expensive, I have heard $250 / month to exclusively use formula. So, based on that "slippery slope" argument, you're saving money in the long run by buying a pump that is going to extend the amount of time that you can breastfeed. Of course, if you are just working part time, then it is not as big of a concern as someone working full time.
EDIT - I didn't read your question very closely, sorry. I would NOT start the baby off on the bottle until at least 4 weeks. Otherwise, your baby can get "nipple confusion." http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/concerns/pacifier.html#confusion Since it is easier to feed from the bottle than the breast, you baby will probably have trouble latching on to the breast and might reject it altogether. In that case, you would be stuck having to pump exclusively. Pumping is not as efficient as having the baby latched on, so you really need a hospital grade pump (I think they are like $700, or you can rent them for $50/month). So again, I see that as a slippery slope and I just wouldn't go there. I introduced the bottle to my baby at about 5 weeks. I only gave a bottle occasionally. We did not start using it regularly until 5 months when I went back to work. And he's doing great with it now. Here's a great resource for you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html
Another Edit- The pump in style comes with lots of extras, like a cooler, battery pack, a manual pump, a nice backpack, etc. When comparing the pumps, look at what it comes with. It is nice having a manual pump too. I just bought an extra shield and now I leave the manual pump at home and bring the electric pump to work.
I have a Medela Pump in Style. All of the women that I know who pump (it's several) have it too. It has been on sale at drugstore.com lately. http://www.drugstore.com/templates/stdplist/default.asp?catid=26912&trx=29985&trxp1=26912&trxp2=2 I don't know much about the Avent pump, but I know Medela works great. Also, Medela bottles are BPA free, and Avent are not. http://www.environmentcalifornia.org/environmental-health/stop-toxic-toys/bisphenol-a-overview You might also want to be open to using other bottles because your baby might not like the Avent nipple (you usually have to try a few kinds; I tried Avent and my baby would not take it). Even if you decide to go with the Avent bottles, I never actually pump into the feeding bottle, I pump into a storage bottle and then transfer it to the feeding bottle later. I use glass bottles for storage and Born Free for feeding. http://www.newbornfree.com/
I would recommend a double pump because it is easier to get the let down in both breasts at one time. Let down is the biggest problem with pumping -- you cannot control it and it is hard to get it without being totally relaxed and without your baby there. So the Medela pumps have a special feature where the pump sucks quickly until you have a let down, then switches to longer, slower sucking, just like your baby. Not sure if Avent has that. Anyways, when you have a let down in one breast, often it happens in both breasts and you will actually start leaking on the other side. So a double pump is going to be more efficient about getting the milk and if you have leaking, you won't have to worry about it. If you have a single pump, I guess you do one and then the other, I don't know if I would even be able to get a second let down very easily. But I have not tried it.
And yes, I do think it is a great investment. Think of it this way: if you cannot pump effectively while you are away, it could eventually hurt your milk supply. If your supply drops too much, you might have to switch to supplementing with formula (and supplementing with formula only exacerbates the supply problem, so many women who start to offer any formula eventually end up quitting breastfeeding altogether). If you have to use formula, it is VERY expensive, I have heard $250 / month to exclusively use formula. So, based on that "slippery slope" argument, you're saving money in the long run by buying a pump that is going to extend the amount of time that you can breastfeed. Of course, if you are just working part time, then it is not as big of a concern as someone working full time.
EDIT - I didn't read your question very closely, sorry. I would NOT start the baby off on the bottle until at least 4 weeks. Otherwise, your baby can get "nipple confusion." http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/concerns/pacifier.html#confusion Since it is easier to feed from the bottle than the breast, you baby will probably have trouble latching on to the breast and might reject it altogether. In that case, you would be stuck having to pump exclusively. Pumping is not as efficient as having the baby latched on, so you really need a hospital grade pump (I think they are like $700, or you can rent them for $50/month). So again, I see that as a slippery slope and I just wouldn't go there. I introduced the bottle to my baby at about 5 weeks. I only gave a bottle occasionally. We did not start using it regularly until 5 months when I went back to work. And he's doing great with it now. Here's a great resource for you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html
Another Edit- The pump in style comes with lots of extras, like a cooler, battery pack, a manual pump, a nice backpack, etc. When comparing the pumps, look at what it comes with. It is nice having a manual pump too. I just bought an extra shield and now I leave the manual pump at home and bring the electric pump to work.
What's the best electric breast pump out there?
MaMa Breez
I'm currently working 11 hours a day and its very hard for me to breastfeed in between. I have an Avent and Medela manual pump but it get tiring to use. I'm worried that my milk supply will get low if I don't pump as often but it is tiresome. I want to buy an electric pump but I want something that will work well. The price doesnt matter as long as it works well. HELP !!!!!
Answer
Medela pump in style or the avent isis duo.
both are double pumps, electric+come with all the supplies.
Closest to the hospital grade
www.lactationcare.com for medella pump This is the cheapest i found
www.lactationconnection.com for avent isis duo.
Medela pump in style or the avent isis duo.
both are double pumps, electric+come with all the supplies.
Closest to the hospital grade
www.lactationcare.com for medella pump This is the cheapest i found
www.lactationconnection.com for avent isis duo.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar