LunasAngel
If I pump each breast "dry" every time I pump, will I end up producing more milk or will that just make the milk production stop?
My daughter is a month and a half old and I didn't have the money to get a pump until now. At first my breasts would actually get engorged, but they quit getting that full and I was having issues getting my daughter full. I felt like I had her attached to my boobs all day! I started giving her a little organic formula from a bottle and I really detest doing so. She spits most of her formula up and I wind up spending just as much time feeding her the formula.
I'm going out to buy a pump in the morning and I really need to know if there's a good way to increase milk production. I want her off the formula asap! I have been drinking Mother's Milk tea and it doesn't really seem to be doing much for me. I read that dozens of other women changed their mind about breastfeeding after consistently using the tea, but I've had no such luck with it.
I feed her nonstop. If I take her off, she cries and cries because she's still hungry. I'm not making enough for her. Though, when she nurses, she's not sucking me dry like a pump could do. My question is if I pump like that all the time, will I not start to produce more milk?
Answer
I would stop supplementing now. I think you have not been given proper info regarding normal newborn nursing behavior. There are growth spurts at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, and 6 months (or close to that time, as each child won't do them at exactly the same time) and during that time (you seem to be around 6 weeks) they will almost always act like you are starving them. That is NORMAL. It is a time when they nurse constantly to tell your body to increase production. Every ounce of formula you give to her, she doesn't ask your body for & therefor your body receives the message not to make it. The more you supplement, the less you make.
This is something written by a friend about what is called the three day nursing sabbatical...it will help you get that supply back on track.
The 3 day nursing sabbatical
So⦠what is a 3 day nursing sabbatical? (Desperate? Skip down to get to the nitty gritty instructions).
A 3 day nursing sabbatical is really the cure-all for most of the common early problems in Bfing. Low supply particularly, but even poor latch, nipple confusion, etc can all benefit. Its really useful if youâve found yourself in the viscous cycle of trying to get baby to stay interested, nurse more, increase supply, reduce formula, get where you donât have to pump as frequently, etc. This is also ideal for growth spurts (in fact, its darn near mandatory).
All too often the story goes something like this: wonderful woman meets cute guy, they fall in love they have kids, they have grand plans. Wonderful woman plans wonderful birth. Things may or may not go as expected, but most often NOT as expected. Shes spent 9 months reading all about how to have a great birth, what colors to paint the nursery for the best developmental stimulus, and how to escape it all without too much damage to show for it while still enjoying and tolerating the stretch marks that don her belly. Then â she has the baby and realizes, NOBODY told her the half million things that might come up as she nurses her baby, who seems to be also clueless about what to do. Also news - theres a difference between lactation counselors and consultants, few pediatricians receive any training about breastfeeding, and the ones that did apparently missed that day of class b/c they had a frat party the night before. (Oh come on â you think he was a saint in college?!)
So â here you are â a postpartum mom, trying to figure out nursing in a world where few people you know nurse (IF you even know someone). Youâve been sent home with formula samples out your ears, and maybe you used a few those first few nights (b/c nobody told you that they just happen to discharge you before things really get moving in the BFing department, and that 3rd night is when all babies decide they want to stay up allllllllll night long although they slept like angels the first few nights).
OR maybe you got âluckyâ and your baby is sleeping a LOT â and as a result not nursing quite as much. And to get by, or to satisfy your paranoia, or to let dad feed the baby, youâve given a few bottles of milk (pumped or artificial). And now â youre stuck. Baby never seems satisfied. Baby is constantly hungry. Laundry is piling up and you donât know what to do? The 3 day sabbatical is for you.
WHAT TO DO:
First things first. Pull out the calendar. The one you used BEFORE the baby came along that organized your life that you can barely keep up with now that it takes an hour to get out of the house from the 2 diaper changes and 3 outfit changes (1 for you and 2 for baby). WIPE EVERYTHING OFF FOR THE NEXT 3 DAYS! Soccer practice â gone. Lunch date â cancel it. Drs appt â only if its serious lol. Moms coming over â give her a list of to-dos. Church â God will understand, I promise. Call DH & tell him youre ordering pizza for the next 3 nights, unless hed like to reheat leftovers, bring home Chinese food, or make grilled cheese (unless you were the lucky one that got the DH that could cook, and then Iâm jealous).
Find a good book â maybe the BFing book thatâs been gathering dust the last 10 months. Have DH bring home all the trash magazines so you can catch up on all the celebrity goodness. Whatever floats your boat. Grab a comforter, a pillow, the remote, some snacks and a lot of water and find a comfy place in front of a TV. Thatâs your home for the next 3 days. Give up your anxiety now, the laundry will not walk off, it will be there in 3 days and your DH could use another job anyways!
Now â strip down from the waist up. Yes, youâre probably leaking more than the rickety faucet in the downstairs bathroom. Thatâs ok. Now, strip baby down to just a diaper. Which reminds me â grab a handful of diapers, wipes, and the bathroom trash can to put next to the couch. Turn up the heat if you must, but really â your body heat will do the job.
Your job for the next 3 days is to feed the baby. Thatâs all. No laundry. No cooking. No cleaning. You can take a shower if you
I would stop supplementing now. I think you have not been given proper info regarding normal newborn nursing behavior. There are growth spurts at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, and 6 months (or close to that time, as each child won't do them at exactly the same time) and during that time (you seem to be around 6 weeks) they will almost always act like you are starving them. That is NORMAL. It is a time when they nurse constantly to tell your body to increase production. Every ounce of formula you give to her, she doesn't ask your body for & therefor your body receives the message not to make it. The more you supplement, the less you make.
This is something written by a friend about what is called the three day nursing sabbatical...it will help you get that supply back on track.
The 3 day nursing sabbatical
So⦠what is a 3 day nursing sabbatical? (Desperate? Skip down to get to the nitty gritty instructions).
A 3 day nursing sabbatical is really the cure-all for most of the common early problems in Bfing. Low supply particularly, but even poor latch, nipple confusion, etc can all benefit. Its really useful if youâve found yourself in the viscous cycle of trying to get baby to stay interested, nurse more, increase supply, reduce formula, get where you donât have to pump as frequently, etc. This is also ideal for growth spurts (in fact, its darn near mandatory).
All too often the story goes something like this: wonderful woman meets cute guy, they fall in love they have kids, they have grand plans. Wonderful woman plans wonderful birth. Things may or may not go as expected, but most often NOT as expected. Shes spent 9 months reading all about how to have a great birth, what colors to paint the nursery for the best developmental stimulus, and how to escape it all without too much damage to show for it while still enjoying and tolerating the stretch marks that don her belly. Then â she has the baby and realizes, NOBODY told her the half million things that might come up as she nurses her baby, who seems to be also clueless about what to do. Also news - theres a difference between lactation counselors and consultants, few pediatricians receive any training about breastfeeding, and the ones that did apparently missed that day of class b/c they had a frat party the night before. (Oh come on â you think he was a saint in college?!)
So â here you are â a postpartum mom, trying to figure out nursing in a world where few people you know nurse (IF you even know someone). Youâve been sent home with formula samples out your ears, and maybe you used a few those first few nights (b/c nobody told you that they just happen to discharge you before things really get moving in the BFing department, and that 3rd night is when all babies decide they want to stay up allllllllll night long although they slept like angels the first few nights).
OR maybe you got âluckyâ and your baby is sleeping a LOT â and as a result not nursing quite as much. And to get by, or to satisfy your paranoia, or to let dad feed the baby, youâve given a few bottles of milk (pumped or artificial). And now â youre stuck. Baby never seems satisfied. Baby is constantly hungry. Laundry is piling up and you donât know what to do? The 3 day sabbatical is for you.
WHAT TO DO:
First things first. Pull out the calendar. The one you used BEFORE the baby came along that organized your life that you can barely keep up with now that it takes an hour to get out of the house from the 2 diaper changes and 3 outfit changes (1 for you and 2 for baby). WIPE EVERYTHING OFF FOR THE NEXT 3 DAYS! Soccer practice â gone. Lunch date â cancel it. Drs appt â only if its serious lol. Moms coming over â give her a list of to-dos. Church â God will understand, I promise. Call DH & tell him youre ordering pizza for the next 3 nights, unless hed like to reheat leftovers, bring home Chinese food, or make grilled cheese (unless you were the lucky one that got the DH that could cook, and then Iâm jealous).
Find a good book â maybe the BFing book thatâs been gathering dust the last 10 months. Have DH bring home all the trash magazines so you can catch up on all the celebrity goodness. Whatever floats your boat. Grab a comforter, a pillow, the remote, some snacks and a lot of water and find a comfy place in front of a TV. Thatâs your home for the next 3 days. Give up your anxiety now, the laundry will not walk off, it will be there in 3 days and your DH could use another job anyways!
Now â strip down from the waist up. Yes, youâre probably leaking more than the rickety faucet in the downstairs bathroom. Thatâs ok. Now, strip baby down to just a diaper. Which reminds me â grab a handful of diapers, wipes, and the bathroom trash can to put next to the couch. Turn up the heat if you must, but really â your body heat will do the job.
Your job for the next 3 days is to feed the baby. Thatâs all. No laundry. No cooking. No cleaning. You can take a shower if you
Should I buy a breast pump on craiglist?
ataloss
Would you buy an electric breast pump on Craigslist in order to save some money?
Answer
Only if it is hospital grade or rental grade. Then I would still buy new tubes & bottles(that is what most manufacturers recommend.)
I worked for Babies R us & dealt with the rentals what they did was sold new tube & collection kits for the rental & when it came back in they wiped it down with disinfectant wipes. I highly recommend a Medela Pump that is what I used with my second son it works very well & has very easy care. Medela even sells a kit for second users.
Good luck
Only if it is hospital grade or rental grade. Then I would still buy new tubes & bottles(that is what most manufacturers recommend.)
I worked for Babies R us & dealt with the rentals what they did was sold new tube & collection kits for the rental & when it came back in they wiped it down with disinfectant wipes. I highly recommend a Medela Pump that is what I used with my second son it works very well & has very easy care. Medela even sells a kit for second users.
Good luck
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar