DizzeeBee
I'm very confused by the system in the USA as it seems so unregulated.
How do parents know that their child is being cared for by someone that is competent whilst they are at work?
Are there "official" daycare centers or just home-run set ups?
Does this make working hard for mothers or indeed fathers whilst their children are young?
Over here all childminders (pretty much a home daycare), nursery schools, pre-schools and creches have to be registered with ofsted (the Office for Standards in Education). It is recommended that nannies are also registered too. In order to be ofsted registered every person with access to children must be CRB (police) checked and fulfill a number of requirements such as a pediatrics first aid certificate.
This is just something I've always wondered, it isn't especially relevant to my life.
Answer
In the United States, licensing regulations for child care facilities is not governed by the federal government. Each state sets their own policies and rules. I have been a child care provider in my home for 22 years. I live in the US in the state of Michigan. In Michigan, it is the law that anyone who regularly cares for unrelated children in their home is licensed by the state. Some states, however, allow for 1-2 children in care without licensing or only being registered. There are 2 basic types of care facilities. There are those run inside a person's home. In Michigan, a Family Home Child Care allows for one person caring for up to 6 children. A Group Home Child Care allows for up to 12 children with 2 care givers required for 7 or more children. There are also child care centers. These are run in a seperate facility, not a person's home. Child Care Centers, at least in Michigan, follow a more stringent licensing process with more inspections than home child care facilities have. Even in Michigan, where it is the law to be licensed, you still have people who choose to do child care in their home without a license. You won't find child care centers running unlicensed, though. At least in Michigan, all employees at child care centers have been required to be finger-printed for some time. Recently, home child care providers have been required to also be finger-printed. Part of our licensing requirement is to keep our CPR and First Aid certifcations current. Plus, home providers are required to have a minimum of 10 hours of continuing education per year in addition to CPR and First Aid training. I believe employees at child care centers have to have 15 hours per year of continuing education. Part of the problem with monitoring child care facilities, especially those in people's homes, is that budget cuts have prevented there being enough personnel to adequately inspect all facilities. In Michigan, inspections are done every 3 years on child care centers while child care homes only require one inspection at the time of the initial licensing. If there is an issue an investigation will be done, but if no reports are made you won't likely have an inspection. There is a provision that 10% of child care homes receive an unannounced visit each year. In the 22 years I've been a child care provider, I have had an inspection twice, once when I got my license and I was once chosen at random for an unannounced visit. Parents need to interview and visit care facilities to find the one they feel best meets their child care needs. Most are run very professionally with dedicated and caring people providing excellent care. However, you mostly only hear about those few incidences where people who shouldn't be caring for children are and terrible things happen. This stuff makes the news because it is unusual. I think most parents find it a difficult task to find appropriate child care for their children when they have to be away for work. Fortunately, there are many options for parents to explore. In regards to nannies. There are agencies that oversee nannies and provide the necessary back ground checks and interview procedures before sending them to a home. There are also numerous other independent individuals who will go to a family's home to care for children on a regular basis. As far as I am aware families who chose to independently hire someone are responsible for checking background, references, and training. In addition to child care, the US also has various programs that fall under the category of "preschools". These are also required to be licensed facilities despite the fact they typically only have children for 2-3 hours at a time.
In the United States, licensing regulations for child care facilities is not governed by the federal government. Each state sets their own policies and rules. I have been a child care provider in my home for 22 years. I live in the US in the state of Michigan. In Michigan, it is the law that anyone who regularly cares for unrelated children in their home is licensed by the state. Some states, however, allow for 1-2 children in care without licensing or only being registered. There are 2 basic types of care facilities. There are those run inside a person's home. In Michigan, a Family Home Child Care allows for one person caring for up to 6 children. A Group Home Child Care allows for up to 12 children with 2 care givers required for 7 or more children. There are also child care centers. These are run in a seperate facility, not a person's home. Child Care Centers, at least in Michigan, follow a more stringent licensing process with more inspections than home child care facilities have. Even in Michigan, where it is the law to be licensed, you still have people who choose to do child care in their home without a license. You won't find child care centers running unlicensed, though. At least in Michigan, all employees at child care centers have been required to be finger-printed for some time. Recently, home child care providers have been required to also be finger-printed. Part of our licensing requirement is to keep our CPR and First Aid certifcations current. Plus, home providers are required to have a minimum of 10 hours of continuing education per year in addition to CPR and First Aid training. I believe employees at child care centers have to have 15 hours per year of continuing education. Part of the problem with monitoring child care facilities, especially those in people's homes, is that budget cuts have prevented there being enough personnel to adequately inspect all facilities. In Michigan, inspections are done every 3 years on child care centers while child care homes only require one inspection at the time of the initial licensing. If there is an issue an investigation will be done, but if no reports are made you won't likely have an inspection. There is a provision that 10% of child care homes receive an unannounced visit each year. In the 22 years I've been a child care provider, I have had an inspection twice, once when I got my license and I was once chosen at random for an unannounced visit. Parents need to interview and visit care facilities to find the one they feel best meets their child care needs. Most are run very professionally with dedicated and caring people providing excellent care. However, you mostly only hear about those few incidences where people who shouldn't be caring for children are and terrible things happen. This stuff makes the news because it is unusual. I think most parents find it a difficult task to find appropriate child care for their children when they have to be away for work. Fortunately, there are many options for parents to explore. In regards to nannies. There are agencies that oversee nannies and provide the necessary back ground checks and interview procedures before sending them to a home. There are also numerous other independent individuals who will go to a family's home to care for children on a regular basis. As far as I am aware families who chose to independently hire someone are responsible for checking background, references, and training. In addition to child care, the US also has various programs that fall under the category of "preschools". These are also required to be licensed facilities despite the fact they typically only have children for 2-3 hours at a time.
How is the baby day care facility in USA?
newmom
Answer
In the state of Texas the staff/child ratio is 1 caregiver to 8 children! That's horrible!
I believe with infants its 1 caregiver to 4 babies. I still think that's bad. I know I can only handle two babies at a time. Three at the most! Think about it, if all three were crying at the same time you only have two arms. That means two of them would have to just stay crying until you can get to them. I am currently a stay at home mommy but if I ever put my son into a day care I will be looking for a place that will give my son the attention he needs.
In the state of Texas the staff/child ratio is 1 caregiver to 8 children! That's horrible!
I believe with infants its 1 caregiver to 4 babies. I still think that's bad. I know I can only handle two babies at a time. Three at the most! Think about it, if all three were crying at the same time you only have two arms. That means two of them would have to just stay crying until you can get to them. I am currently a stay at home mommy but if I ever put my son into a day care I will be looking for a place that will give my son the attention he needs.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar